We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What was the first pirate station you ever logged?  (Read 7076 times)

Newfoundland DXer

Re: What was the first pirate station you ever logged?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 2003 UTC »
This thread prompted me to finally dig out my boxes of QSLs and correspondance from my previous reincarnation as a regular sw listener in the late 70's/early 80's.  I had memories of an Irish pirate in there somewhere and indeed I found a cover letter from Radio Dublin Int from 1980 confirming my reception and saying a QSL was enclosed.  (The actual QSL must be in one of the other boxes).

My modern pirate era began on February 22, 2009, when I logged Radio Borderhunter from Holland.  I remember it well.  I heard a promo for Dr. Tim News, and google led me to Iann's/Dr. Tim's chatroom, where I ended up chatting with BH and another listener from the US (Alex V.).  I was hooked ;D  (and Radio Borderhunter is still one of my favourite stations to hear.)

Cheers, Terry

Offline czar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 0235 UTC »
PRN,Pirate Radio New England,way,way,back in early eighties.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 0355 UTC »
Logged Pigmeat Radio on the FRN on 3/16/2007 (said he was only running 10 watts)

Logged Take It Easy Radio on #pirateradio on 3/17/2007

I don't remember what inspired me to listen for shortwave pirates (or what inspired me to choose my ID).

I'm glad I was someone's first...........

My first pirate,not counting youthful experiments cluttering up the CB bands with overmodulated rock n' roll, was hearing a phony commercial at the top of the AM band on a car radio in an old Chevy circa '83.

They ran a commercial that went something like this "Cadillac;The large car for the man with a small penis.",then promptly faded out.

I nearly drove into the ditch laughing.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 0104 UTC »
My first pirate was KPRC in 1983.  According to the sources of the day they operated on 1616.  I wouldn't know, having logged them on an old Realistic DX-100 with an analog dial and a mile wide IF filter.  My first shortwave pirate was logged in 1984 after I bought a Yaesu FRG-7700.  That was KRZY on 7435.  Thanks to the Frog I quickly added Secret Mountain Lab, Zeppelin Radio Worldwide, and Voice Of Laryngitis to the logbook - all within the first couple months of ownership.  A decent receiver really makes a difference...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 1315 UTC »
My couple of brief recordings of KPRC that I made were just on a little boombox with the internal loop antenna. They had a nice signal in the Northeast  :)
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 2210 UTC »
My first pirate logging and QSL are actually the same station... for the same broadcast!  That'd be Northwoods Radio in mid May of this year.  I have a lovely QSL from them, now.  I believe there are mallards on the obverse. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 0217 UTC »
I didn't do much, if any, QSLing early in my listening career so I don't have much reference material to look back on. But I pretty vividly remember my first shortwave pirate being Radio EXP, probably on 7415 KHz AM and early on what was likely a winter Sunday morning. Probably 1990, perhaps 1989. This station was mentioned in Andy Yoder's books of the era but little comes up in Google. I think the announcer's name was Dr. Blue or something like that.

Right around that time, thanks to Andy's books, I was also looking on mediumwave but with much less success. To this date, the only hobby pirate I've heard on mediumwave was a station that ID'd as WORM on or about 1620 KHz playing the Doors. Same timeframe, about 1990. Never saw this one reported anywhere else.

This was the dawn of a pretty active SW pirate radio era and it was a good time, from 1990 until about 1994 when I dropped out of the hobby for about 10 years.

# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 0331 UTC »
Zeppelin Radio Worldwide was the first pirate that I heard on shortwave back in 1987.  This reception also led to my first QSL card - shown below.  Others heard in '87 were the Voice of Free Long Island, KBFA "Broadcasters of Free America", Radio Clandestine, Voice of Laryngitis, etc.  I was instantly hooked!  I started recording just about everything I heard on cassette tape.  I've slowly been digitizing these tapes to MP3.  As for medium wave, my first(s) were both WJDI and WKND who did alternating broadcasts on 1620 KHz one night back in 1989.

PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX