We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: bye bye warm weather  (Read 4381 times)

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
bye bye warm weather
« on: November 14, 2020, 0002 UTC »
Last week at this time we were enjoying dining outdoors in the middle of an unusual warm period for November for Michigan
with daytime temperatures reaching into the mid-70s.  Tonight things are back to normal for this time of year.
We are dining indoors, temperature outside in the upper 30s with a cold west wind.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline EricPeterson

• Warren county VA (Shenandoah Valley)
  • website in progress...
    • View Profile
    • Old engineer but new at this
    • Email
Re: bye bye warm weather
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 1437 UTC »
We have some transition days here on the east coast.  Some 60's today with showers.  Probably 50's tomorrow and 40's by Wed.  I think La Nina winters bring these cold shots with moderation and mostly dry weather for us (not much southern stream moisture).  For you La Nina should bring the same variation but a better chance of storms.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 1715 UTC »
Jet stream shifting southward bringing high winds today.

Offline EricPeterson

• website in progress...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 0212 UTC »
It's here now.  Winds still gusting to 25-30 and actually keeping it a little warmer (mixing), 38 now.  I picked some green cherry tomatoes, they are not going to be very good even if they ripen.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 1445 UTC »
28 for the low yesterday, 30 for the low today though the NWS had forecasted lower, I suspect because the winds never died down. Still quite breezy now, between the wind and the cold I have postponed outdoor work. Just 32.9F shortly before 10 AM.  I remembered to turn off the water to the outdoor spigots last night.  Low 60s forecast Fri and Sat which will be nice.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 1513 UTC »
The forecasted low here in northern Carroll County was 28F per the NWS Sterling office. Actual low? 19F.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline EricPeterson

• website in progress...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2020, 1913 UTC »
Got down to 23 here and the last ice in the barrels in the shade just melted.  It's 63 now and I opened some windows.  Winter is over, spring is here.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 1933 UTC »
Still just 45 here, fairly cloudy. We get a few days of Spring starting tomorrow.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 2043 UTC »
One more shot of unusual warm November weather for us in Michigan...
reached mid-60s yesterday, is presently 62. 

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 1256 UTC »
It was very nice yesterday, got to 65. Looks to be a little cooler today and cloudy, still not bad for November. 
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 1622 UTC »
25F for the low this morning, vs the NWS Sterling forecast low of 33F.

The Canadian tries to bring a little snow nearby early in the week:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 0622 UTC »
I'll welcome the cold snap, if it will clear out the T-storms that keep trashing the LF, MW, and lower HF, bands.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2020, 1315 UTC »
And... it's snowing here in northern Carroll County.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 2014 UTC »
Snowing all across Western New York this morning, maybe an inch or so of accumulation. Temperature is 33 degrees F. at the moment.
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2020, 1030 UTC »
Got our first serious snow of the season yesterday here in southern Michigan.
The salt trucks were out doing their best to rust out the fenders and rocker panels on my car.
However, we got nowhere near the 5-8" snow total some early forecasts had predicted.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns