We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KMOX 1120 AM 0725 UTC 12 Nov 2020  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
KMOX 1120 AM 0725 UTC 12 Nov 2020
« on: November 12, 2020, 0800 UTC »
KPNW in Eugene, Oregon, dominates this frequency here most nights, with KANN, a small religious station in Utah, often heard with contemporary Christian music in the background.

After hearing KANN, I noticed KPNW was unusually weak and fading with another talk station fading up. As I was fine tuning my Tecsun loop, I very clearly heard a KMOX ID as the station went back from an ad break into "Overnight America." The KMOX talk program could be heard quite a bit over the following 30 minutes—sometimes clearly—under KPNW when KANN would fade out. It faded up to even at times with KPNW's signal, especially around 0745-0747 UTC and again at 0753-0759 UTC; I heard St. Louis ads and the legal ID at that latter time before CBS News on the hour.

Distance from me to the transmitter is 1,714 miles. One technicality question: Do I log this one as Illinois, where the transmitter actually is, or as Missouri?
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: KMOX 1120 AM 0725 UTC 12 Nov 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 1241 UTC »
A purist would call it Illinois, but hey, it's a hobby.   ;)

If you really want Missouri, try 810 WHB Kansas City...  don't worry, it's on the Missouri side of the river.
You will have to null KGO.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 0458 UTC »
As a former journalist who was a stickler for facts (I'm now in PR, where facts are fuzzier  :)), I did indeed log it as Illinois.

Thanks for the tip on 810 kHz; I've tried a little to null KGO, but that signal's a blowtorch even up here north of Seattle!
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 1435 UTC »
As a former journalist who was a stickler for facts (I'm now in PR, where facts are fuzzier  :)), I did indeed log it as Illinois.

Thanks for the tip on 810 kHz; I've tried a little to null KGO, but that signal's a blowtorch even up here north of Seattle!

WHB will go to full power 50kw omnidirectional at their sunrise when the path will still be mostly dark towards you.
If you can null KGO enough you may be able to hear WHB underneath.
You will have until the 50kw daytimer KTBI in WA signs on.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan