We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New whooper beacon on 4095.65  (Read 36044 times)

Offline Desert Whooper

• View Profile
Re: New whooper beacon on 4095.65
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2022, 2315 UTC »
The battery is about 22 months old but has done very well so far. It is oversized in terms of the Amp Hours needed and so is the solar panel. In this manner it can easily survive a few heavily clouded days before the low voltage disconnect would shut down DW. The LVD will shut things down around 12.1 volts, approximately 55% battery capacity.

Thank you for all of your reports!

The DW Team
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 1526 UTC by Desert Whooper »

Offline Dave Richards

• Oakland, CA
    • View Profile
    • Ham Radio (and occasionally Part 15) Blog
    • Email
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2022, 2339 UTC »
The battery is about 22 months old but has done very well so far. It is oversized in terms of the Amp Hours needed and so is the solar panel.

That was a good design decision. Top marks, and thank you for giving us such a great signal to listen out for, even though I know that wasn't the primary intent!
Oakland, CA
(SF Bay Area)

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2022, 0438 UTC »
Looking over my notes it seems that DW was getting weak around the 3rd week of September. Now it is great copy at home, even can be heard on the NRD-525 with an untuned, RX-only antenna.

Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half