We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Progreso 640 AM 0530 UTC 19 Nov 2020  (Read 1191 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Radio Progreso 640 AM 0530 UTC 19 Nov 2020
« on: November 19, 2020, 1943 UTC »
KFI had a weaker signal than usual last night, so I got it nulled at just the right spot with my indoor loop and heard Latin music behind it. After trying to figure out which Mexican station, or possibly Spanish-language station in the U.S., this was, I finally tried an SDR in Florida on a hunch. And the music on 640 there matched. I then matched that to the audio on the Radio Progreso website.

I listened past 0800 UTC to make sure I wasn't imagining the match between what I heard under KFI, which really faded a bit after 0800, and the Radio Progreso audio heard on the Florida SDR. When Progreso played a radio soap opera in the 0700 UTC hour, it was nearly inaudible on my radio. But the Cuban music traveled well to my speaker before and after the soap opera.

I'm assuming this is the 50 kW Radio Progreso station on 640 (there are two), so the distance from me to that transmitter is just over 2,770 miles -- my longest MW catch to date.

UPDATE: I heard lively Cuban music again behind KFI at 0809 UTC on Nov. 21, and it again matched what the Key West SDR was receiving on 640 kHz.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 2250 UTC by Treehouse SWL »
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Radio Progreso 640 AM 0530 UTC 19 Nov 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 0650 UTC »
Don't forget to check 1180 from time to time. Radio Rebelde can be heard during good conditions under KOFI. You can parallel the audio with the Rebelde outlet on 5025 khz. I've heard them on just a portable, more than once, and I'm in the PNW.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 0052 UTC »
Funny you say that; I was hearing music underneath KOFI the other night that I was trying to ID. Is Radio Marti also still on 1180?
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 0206 UTC »
Funny you say that; I was hearing music underneath KOFI the other night that I was trying to ID. Is Radio Marti also still on 1180?

I believe it still is. It was a few years ago. Haven't heard them in a while, though.

Easiest way is match it with 5025, which comes in fairly well even off the whip on most of my SW portables.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).