We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 49m good this evening....  (Read 2092 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
49m good this evening....
« on: February 04, 2021, 0429 UTC »
Was some solar activity earlier in the day....not sure if that's the reason but 49m is hoppin' this evening.
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: 49m good this evening....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 1120 UTC »
foF2 was up above 7 MHz for a while, this often happen just as a geomagnetic storm is starting, the K index was 4.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2021, 0620 UTC »
foF2 was up above 7 MHz for a while, this often happen just as a geomagnetic storm is starting, the K index was 4.

When I see a blip like that at ~0620 UT, my first inclination is to think that it is not authentic (i.e., bad data) and some quirk of reception happened or the algorithm that determines FoF2 from the ionosonde data was "fooled" somehow. That data point is too weirdly out of place, even though FoF2 did appear to be slightly elevated that day compared to other recent days.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 1140 UTC »

When I see a blip like that at ~0620 UT, my first inclination is to think that it is not authentic (i.e., bad data) and some quirk of reception happened or the algorithm that determines FoF2 from the ionosonde data was "fooled" somehow. That data point is too weirdly out of place, even though FoF2 did appear to be slightly elevated that day compared to other recent days.

Sorry, I was referring to the extended period above 7 MHz the day before, so the red trace on the right side of the graph.  The circa 0620 UTC blip is certainly just bad data.

Speaking of propagation, there was a nice opening on 40m yesterday afternoon, for a short period of time the CW portion was wall to wall signals.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 1206 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 2331 UTC »
Now it I could only get my peak audience to coincide with the peak propagation...  Ah the majik of Radio

tAC 
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 1043 UTC »
Sorry, I was referring to the extended period above 7 MHz the day before, so the red trace on the right side of the graph.  The circa 0620 UTC blip is certainly just bad data.

Oh. OK. I misunderstood.
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns