We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Big Snow possible Wed/Thu in the Northeast  (Read 2043 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Big Snow possible Wed/Thu in the Northeast
« on: December 12, 2020, 1250 UTC »
(Note these are model runs, not "forecasts". For information/educational purposes only)

First a small event Monday:

Then the big event:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: Big Snow possible Wed/Thu in the Northeast
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 1507 UTC »
goes north and south of me   :)
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline EricPeterson

• Warren county VA (Shenandoah Valley)
  • website in progress...
    • View Profile
    • Old engineer but new at this
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 1702 UTC »
Snow is good for getting nice even moisture into the ground.  I can also get lots of steps into the fitbit shoveling about 400 feet of driveway.  Sunny and 57 here right now, should make low 60's.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 1846 UTC »
Chris -

In the last map where it says 27.9 in Connecticut, I am just to the right across the county borderline.  It is these types of storms that have given south central Connecticut the most snow from a region wide storm - significant cold front from the northwest colliding with a storm blowing up near the sweet spot of 40 N, 70 W. (I'm at 41.4 N, 72.7 W).  Just inland enough from Sound to get the moisture impact but not the temperature moderating effects of sea. About 8 years ago we had a 33 incher, at points snowing at 5 inches an hour.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 1910 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 1643 UTC »
We're getting snow now from the forecast rain to snow transition

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 1645 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2020, 1559 UTC »
I ended up with 8" of snow, some pictures:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2020, 2040 UTC »
only got about 1" or so here
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2020, 2127 UTC »
12 inches here, sounds like where I vacationed in October took the hardest hit - Ludlow, Vermont 40 inches.

Photo this morning at 1300 utc, still snowing, 600 foot hills less than a mile away, barely visible.  My 150 foot gravel driveway is in between the bushes and oak tree:

https://imgur.com/a/NBKSYqF

Nice chickens and inflatables, Chris  ;D!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 2134 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2020, 1919 UTC »
The snow storm totals here in WNY varied from 10 inches south of Buffalo, N.Y.  along the lake to maybe an inch or so north of the city. Downstate around Binghamton N.Y they received 44 inches and one guy was buried in his car for 10 hours  ....https://www.kiro7.com/news/weird-news/motorist-rescued-after-10-hours-car-buried-by-snow-plow/K2C43GZ2SRBMDPHVEJUWEGTZ5E

Chris, it looks like the chickens don't mind the snow.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 1926 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 2231 UTC »
The snow storm totals here in WNY varied from 10 inches south of Buffalo, N.Y.  along the lake to maybe an inch or so north of the city. Downstate around Binghamton N.Y they received 44 inches and one guy was buried in his car for 10 hours  ....https://www.kiro7.com/news/weird-news/motorist-rescued-after-10-hours-car-buried-by-snow-plow/K2C43GZ2SRBMDPHVEJUWEGTZ5E

Granted, that is a rather flukey situation, stuff like that happens. We carry extra preps in our vehicles during the winter just for these reasons. You don't need to be buried to be trapped. Having blankets and extra socks and a few other items with you will extend your ability to get home safe. Glad he got out.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns