We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Trademark Modernization Act of 2020 in Covid Stimulus Package  (Read 769 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Resting with the radio in Durham CT
    • View Profile
    • Email

An unheralded aspect of the passed, albeit yet signed, Stimulus Package is further trademark protections for music.  One talk show host I listened to last night pulled all his bumper/lead-in music from his live syndicated program not knowing if all the affiliates complied with pending legislation.  He was also awaiting word on how a radio station, stream, and podcast are defined. I have read that many college radio stations are noncompliant to pending regulations.

https://www.cnet.com/news/piracy-and-controversial-copyright-laws-tucked-inside-covid-relief-bill/
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 1310 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Trademark Modernization Act of 2020 in Covid Stimulus Package
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 1848 UTC »
Yeah!!!! This package should be for more for Swine Flu for the amount of Pork Barrel that's in it. +90% of it having absolutely nothing to do with COVID-19. Geez... Certainly not a very Merry X-mas to us. This is a plain Merry X-mas, FU, to the MAX!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Trademark Modernization Act of 2020 in Covid Stimulus Package
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 0513 UTC »
Nothing like taking advantage of a nation in crisis to shove through whatever legislation that you couldn't get through Congress otherwise.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).