We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Tuning out - A cold-war stalwart goes out of fashion  (Read 2666 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Tuning out - A cold-war stalwart goes out of fashion
« on: July 05, 2012, 2211 UTC »
TWIDDLE the dial of a short-wave radio and you never know what you will get. Through the hiss of static you may hear Cuban propaganda, football from Brazil or Chinese opera. Unlike other radio broadcasts, short-wave transmissions, bouncing off the ionosphere, can connect any two points on earth. One hazard is physics: signals wane and wax during the day. Another is governments. In the cold war communist regimes jammed Western stations. Now the threat is budget cuts...

http://www.economist.com/node/21558247
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline zackers

• View Profile
Re: Tuning out - A cold-war stalwart goes out of fashion
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 1703 UTC »
I'm very sad to see both of these stations go and wonder who will be next.

I used to listen to Radio Netherlands Worldwide every Sunday when Eddie Startz did the Happy Station Program. I guess those days are gone forever.
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles