We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KCJJ1630, Iowa City.  (Read 1139 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
KCJJ1630, Iowa City.
« on: December 28, 2020, 1803 UTC »
What was suppose to be an early IN / OUT at work on a Sunday evening turned out to be the wait from hell. So, scanned the AM band in the truck. KCJJ 1630kHz was mainly the clear signal winner with tunage. Wow!!!! They don't voice track, but are live, to 9PM CST? Huh... Stations around here in WV usually all voice track it from 5PM, onward. So, neat to listen to, and gave me the heads-up on the big storm that's suppose to dump on Iowa City there this week, might dump later on us. Oh... And, CBS News at 10min before the TOHID? That's a lil' different. Nothin', on 1710kHz.      www.1630kcjj.com
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: KCJJ1630, Iowa City.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 1219 UTC »
What was suppose to be an early IN / OUT at work on a Sunday evening turned out to be the wait from hell. So, scanned the AM band in the truck. KCJJ 1630kHz was mainly the clear signal winner with tunage. Wow!!!! They don't voice track, but are live, to 9PM CST? Huh... Stations around here in WV usually all voice track it from 5PM, onward. So, neat to listen to, and gave me the heads-up on the big storm that's suppose to dump on Iowa City there this week, might dump later on us. Oh... And, CBS News at 10min before the TOHID? That's a lil' different. Nothin', on 1710kHz.      www.1630kcjj.com

hey Dood,

The KCJJ DJs talking about you and other reception reports this morning @ 1145Z.   8)
Seems like a big snowstorm headed their way, idk but maybe as a result they went to daytime power early...
huge signal in here on the car radio.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline jta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 1646 UTC »
They are the strongest Iowa station into WNY, yet the lowest powered. Must have one heckova Ground system!

And they are live and local 24 hpd!

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 2250 UTC »
They are the strongest Iowa station into WNY, yet the lowest powered. Must have one heckova Ground system!

And they are live and local 24 hpd!

The morning DJs mentioned ThaDood in WV as well as a report from Ottawa ON Canada.

You are correct about the ground...  Iowa has very good ground conductivity.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 1344 UTC »
Have noticed past couple of weeks KCJJ with very strong signal into here well past our local sunrise.
May be due to the fact that the sun is at about its lowest all year in the sky... not able to quickly
ionize the D layer and thus absorb MW signals.

Their signal finally and rather abruptly dropped out one hour after our sunrise this morning.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 1353 UTC by pinto vortando »