We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: how can i in-hanse my long wire performance  (Read 13152 times)

Offline radioreddz

• Maryland
    • View Profile
    • Email
how can i in-hanse my long wire performance
« on: July 08, 2012, 0245 UTC »
i have a 200' long wire and was wondering what i could do to get better performance from my receiver's. i'm using a RS dx394,RS dx302 and a icom R71a
listning to the world on 200' of wire  assisted by a host of Hallicrafters,Icoms,Heath Kits and Radio Shack radios.  Stevo in Maryland

Fansome

Re: how can i in-hanse my long wire performance
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 0540 UTC »
Years ago I used to use an MFJ-16010 random-wire tuner to connect a 40' long wire to my DX-440. I think it made a significant improvement to just connecting the long wire directly to the radio. It might be worth a try; the tuner is not that expensive. http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Categories.php?sec=220

Another possibility is to put a pre-amplifier at the antenna feedpoint; this might help if the feedpoint is at a significant distance from your radios.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 0546 UTC by Fansome »

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 0713 UTC »
Yes, an antenna tuner can help, especially with anything Realistic (I've owned pretty much them all fro DX-60 to DX302).

Peace!

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 1127 UTC »
Thanks Fansome and cmradio.  I had a MFJ-948 sitting in front of me these past 3 years, and didn't realize it could help for rx.  It is hooked up now and helping somewhat (more on some bands than others.)

Another possibility is to put a pre-amplifier at the antenna feedpoint; this might help if the feedpoint is at a significant distance from your radios.

Does anyone know where might one obtain such a thing?  I have looked around and found several preamps for use at the radio, but not at the feedpoint. (I don't guess the cheap TV signal booster that I noticed at the local ex-rat shack would work?)

Radioreddz:  Placing the antenna as far as possible from your house and a well shielded/grounded feed can eliminate most household electrical noise.  This design http://www.iw5edi.com/ham-radio/?low-noise-antenna-connection,45 has worked well for me.  It is a low-noise design, so don't expect strong signals.  But the signal/noise ratio is good.  (I have heard IDs from stations without seeing the needle move.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 1129 UTC by terry newfoundland »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 1252 UTC »
I'd be a little leery of using a pre-amp, only because most modern HF radios, even portables, are fairly sensitive, and usually noise levels dominate at HF. A pre-amp will just amplify everything signals and noise, and add some more noise of it's own. Plus possibly some images and mixing products.

If you can get a sky loop type antenna up, I think you will see a dramatic improvement in reception. Since you have a 200' longwire now, I imagine you should have room for one that is a few hundred feet in perimeter? Another good choice would be a T2FD, although I think the sky loop would end up being easier to build, and probably work better.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline thechoat

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 1715 UTC »
Ill back chris up 100% i had a long wire up and i switched to a loop huge difference mines only around 400ft  but it still amazes me.And a tuner helps to i got around 4 s-units more signal on the loop and also my wire was directional out the sides the loop is almost omni.
Oklahoma
qsl to streetracerlx at gmail.com
Afedri SDR or Icom 746, home made OCF dipole

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 2204 UTC »
Thanks guys.  I'll have to try that one.

Cheers, Terry

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 0004 UTC »
I see that Universal Radio sells antenna pre-amps, but I am not familiar with any of the brands they stock.

Wellbrook sells an antenna pre-amp that is specifically for the feedpoint. I have not used it myself, but I did own a Wellbrook active loop antenna for a while, and it worked pretty well. It had a pre-amp at the feedpoint.

Offline radioreddz

• Maryland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 0010 UTC »
thanks for the info, i just may have to try a sky loop i'm blessed to have enough room for any type of antenna. i may just go rent a lift and hang a loop. great info from all
listning to the world on 200' of wire  assisted by a host of Hallicrafters,Icoms,Heath Kits and Radio Shack radios.  Stevo in Maryland

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 0034 UTC »
Thanks Fansome.  But, upon reflection, I think bringing a power source close to my antenna would be counter-productive.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 0139 UTC »
If you really like to DIY, Clifton Labs has some interesting and well documented components and assemblies for feed-point amps.  An example of a very nice high level Norton amp is here:    http://cliftonlaboratories.com/z10042a_norton_amplifier.htm

IIRC, Clifton makes components and assemblies for some antenna manufacturers.  I think I remember reading that Clifton supplies amps for the Pixel Technologies loops.  They also make gain and phased matched short amplified verticals which from all appearances seem to be the ones used in the DX Engineering receiving arrays.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Sky Loop Antennas Re: how can i in-hanse my long wire performance
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 2031 UTC »
I wrote up another blog post about sky loop antennas, this time with an emphasis on construction tips: http://www.hfunderpants.com/?p=1097
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 2313 UTC »
Thanks Chris.  A very well written article.  (I have to get one of those EZ Hangs!)

Cheers, Terry

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 0009 UTC »
Thanks Chris.  A very well written article.  (I have to get one of those EZ Hangs!)

Cheers, Terry

The EZ Hangs are not cheap (I think around $100) but they work very well. I have had one for 10 or 15 years, I forget how long. The rubber bands do seem to fail every few years, possibly because I leave it out in the shed in the winter and it gets cold. But they're cheap. And of course you need to stock up on fishing weights and line, due to antenna eating trees. I recently switched to steel sinkers, and they work just as well as the lead ones, without the lead. I feel better about losing them in the woods.

I've seen the pneumatic launchers, and while they look cool, they also look scary to me. I'm not a huge fan of lots of psi of compressed air, and PVC pipe.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Taliaferro G.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 1849 UTC »
Try a 9:1 balun at the feedpoint. It's the traditional solution to improving longwire performance. Several vendors sell them,or if you're handy,you could wind one,it's fairly straight forward and easy to do.