We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: how can i in-hanse my long wire performance  (Read 13117 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: how can i in-hanse my long wire performance
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2012, 0127 UTC »

I've used a similar system,a Zebco 202 and Wrist Rocket for years,Beerus. One ounce egg sinker on the end of the the line to get it over the branch,and most importantly back down as mono can cut into wet bark,especially in broadleaf trees.

I've launched and erected antennas in the middle of nowhere in the soggiest of conditions with that thing. An  enclosed spincasting reel like the Zebco 202 makes the launching tangle free. You lay the reel on the ground,press the bail button,load the sling and let it fly.

Be very careful when using a one ounce weight,it can be lethal to someone downrange of you. It can also ricochet off of the trunk of the tree and come sailing back at your head. (Trust me on that one.)

The reel,wrist rocket,mono line and uv-resistant dacron "crab line",can all be found at that one stop pirate shop,Wal-Mart,for about 20-25 bucks before taxes.

The mono line and sinkers are the only things you'll ever replace regularly.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: how can i in-hanse my long wire performance
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 0919 UTC »
As an alternative to fishing sinkers, I use small white pill bottles made of HDPE - the kind over the counter analgesics come in.  They're flexible enough to resist cracking.  Fill 'em with coffee, sugar or sand.  Snug a fishing line around the neck and I sling 'em over our trees with handheld fishing line, bolo style.  Our trees are only 20'-30' tall so it's easy.  If I miss, the plastic pill bottles won't break anything.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns