We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Noooooo........ Hudson County NJ TIS station is back on 1710 AM  (Read 1306 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
The Hudson County NJ TIS station is back on 1710 AM, stuck in repeat mode again with a make voice saying endless W's.

"The FCC approved the County’s temporary request to broadcast on the AM station at 100 watts for the duration of the pandemic declared emergency."

How do we petition the FCC to revoke their temp authorization, with evidence that they are not properly running the station. I'm serious. Let's do this.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: Noooooo........ Hudson County NJ TIS station is back on 1710 AM
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 1800 UTC »

"The FCC approved the County’s temporary request to broadcast on the AM station at 100 watts for the duration of the pandemic declared emergency."

Does that mean forever ?
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 1840 UTC »

Does that mean forever ?

Longer
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 1924 UTC »
Um... Did ya hear them last night? Just skipping on 1/2 a word again. Hmmmmmm... Back to a 100W to advertise their technical incompetency? OK...
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 0251 UTC »
I've seen reports from well before the pandemic where this station was stuck or operating incorrectly over a long period of time, and heard it myself by SDR as well. Didn't the FCC know about this to judge them unfit for operation, like commercial stations would be?

On the other side, I notice that most of the these alert stations are running test loops, telephone tones and IDs that repeat endlessly, hum on carrier and other problems for years in some cases, why bother?
K-Bear Radio

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 0005 UTC »
Record it. Preferably with video showing the frequency, date, and time. Now send the recording to the county commissioners or whatever type of local government is present, including a description of the issue and a tag line along the lines of "This is what your taxpayer dollars are supporting."

If that does not work or receives no reply, then email it to the local newspaper(s), TV news stations, etc.; with a common carry to the government addresses you tried, too. ;)
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 1318 UTC »
Now that's an excellent idea, RobRich!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD