We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Is It Time for Radio to Restore Dynamic Range?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Is It Time for Radio to Restore Dynamic Range?
« on: January 05, 2021, 1920 UTC »
Well, if they are going to even attempt a better DR, dump the MP3 format! That would be one improvement.    https://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/guest-commentaries/is-it-time-for-radio-to-restore-dynamic-range
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Is It Time for Radio to Restore Dynamic Range?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 1801 UTC »
Being on the inside, I have seen a lot of good things over the last decade of engineering.  One thing, bought music libraries are often lossless.  Hard disk space is now cheap enough that lossless makes sense.  Of course, if your playing pop, hip-hip, or a lot of similar genres that makes use of samples, what are you really getting with lossless?  Program paths are often PCM, particularly in larger markets.  Smaller markets are often running analog STL shots, so little has changed there.  Processing has gotten better too.  Most of the new flagship processors incorporate declippers, and all you have to do is wait for a Red Hot Chili Peppers song to come on and see if its being used  :P

I read something recently about the loudness war being over, as many online streaming entities are pushing the volume of hypercompressed content down, seemingly rewarding material with dynamics by playing them louder.  I hope the trend continues, and I have seen some indy stuff lately that looks less like a box on the waveform view of any DAW.  Unfortunately the music distribution system is moving farther and farther from a lossless world, and often the only version you can get of a song is MP3.  At least bandcamp would let you have a PCM version of a song if you wanted, but again there is no way to tell what the original source was.

As long as people are content to listening to music on the subway with tin can ears, the music industry will pump out content geared toward the lowest common denominator.

+-RH
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 1806 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
Re: Is It Time for Radio to Restore Dynamic Range?
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 0716 UTC »
I've always hated the loudness war, it's ruined some good music, just to be louder. Early it was said to be competition between mastering engineers to see who could be loudest, then loudness was used to be heard better on low dynamic range speakers in lots of products now.

I could see how hyper compressed songs would be played lower in a normalized streaming environment. MP3 Gain has been doing something like that for years in music collections. An RMS ALC would do something similar, holding the average level some db lower for hyper compressed as opposed to something more dynamic.

If you didn't limit, compress, and clip much after the ALC, that might help the sound be better on highly compressed tracks, they wouldn't ride so high into the "destructive" sections of the processing.
K-Bear Radio