We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Kiwi recording/postprocessing  (Read 1663 times)

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Kiwi recording/postprocessing
« on: January 13, 2021, 1532 UTC »
Does anyone do bulk recordings of Kiwi specific frequencies (or bands)?  Can you record/replay the IQ data or only the audio stream?  How do you post process it to review the data?

Inquiring minds

John
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Kiwi recording/postprocessing
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 1551 UTC »
You can only record audio or a narrow IQ bandwidth, not an entire band as with a regular SDR.

This might be a nice opportunity however to mention a new app I am working on, KiwiKonnect: https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/kiwisdr_software.html

KiwiKonnect connects to online KiwiSDR receivers without the need for a web browser. Receiver audio can be piped to virtual sound cards, so it can be easily fed into decoding programs for SSTV, Fax, and other modes. You could also pipe it into Audacity or other audio recording program as well, of course. For Windows and macOS.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 1857 UTC »
Got it, and thanks for the link. That looks interesting for doing some QRSS stuff too.

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for doing time-compressed reviewing of frequencies of interest. I seem to remember someone (might have been Token) mentioning doing a visual capture of a waterfall every x min and saving it to individual files, which are easily scrolled thru to detect activity visually.  Not sure how one proceeds from there to listen to the particular (IQ recording?) clip represented in the waterfall, but such a thing would be handy.
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 1930 UTC »
Got it, and thanks for the link. That looks interesting for doing some QRSS stuff too.

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for doing time-compressed reviewing of frequencies of interest. I seem to remember someone (might have been Token) mentioning doing a visual capture of a waterfall every x min and saving it to individual files, which are easily scrolled thru to detect activity visually.  Not sure how one proceeds from there to listen to the particular (IQ recording?) clip represented in the waterfall, but such a thing would be handy.

Have you considered sdrRewind? (not for KiwiSDRs, but other SDR app that allow saving IQ files) https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/sdr_iq_recording_playback_program.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree