We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Comparing the "KiwiSDR" and the "RaspberrySDR" software-defined radios  (Read 2231 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Comparing the "KiwiSDR" and the "RaspberrySDR" software-defined radios

https://ka7oei.blogspot.com/2020/09/comparing-kiwisdr-and-raspberrysdr.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
Good comparison, the new ones have the extra range compared to Kiwis.

I just have a noob question though, about Kiwi radios. I use different ones regularly, and notice that many have their own custom configurations, like some have buttons for SAM, others do not, the same with narrow and wide AM modes, others have DRM buttons.

What I wonder is if you as the operator have the choice about what buttons are given, and what modes are supported? For example, I can't see DRM being useful in North America, so if I ran a Kiwi, I'd want to replace it with something more useful.

Can that be done, or is it mostly controlled by the Kiwi company, and can they push updates over your config? How easy would it be to customize buttons, modes, by graphical interface or script at the command line?

Thanks in advance! Some of the simplest questions about running SDR don't seem to be in the guides.
K-Bear Radio

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Yes, as administrator of the Kiwi you have control over which extensions are enabled, such as DRM and TDoA.

Some of the other differences could be due to the version of software on the KiwiSDR itself. Most are set up to automatically update when a new version is released, but some may not, which could also explain missing features.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
Thanks for your reply, and yes, I noticed that some versions seem to be different, looking at other's SDR interfaces. I would want a radio that could be customized and interface stays the same, unless I would be interested in a new feature and want to add it myself, sort of like a hardware radio.

I'd guess that some of the differences could be someone using different radios on Kiwi, like OpenWebRX's or FlyDog, variants that have different features and frequency coverage.
K-Bear Radio

Offline syfr

• View Profile
According to the RSPSDR mail reflector, there's enough problems with these that they're being sent back .

Hope that works out well.
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline syfr

• View Profile
According to the RSPSDR mail reflector, there's enough problems with these that they're being sent back .

Hope that works out well for the purchasers!
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535