We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: VC 01 - "Chinese Robot" 4978 khz USB 17:28 UTC 21 Jan 2021  (Read 1923 times)

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
VC 01 - "Chinese Robot" 4978 khz USB 17:28 UTC 21 Jan 2021
« on: January 21, 2021, 1732 UTC »
I first picked this up on my SDR and antenna very faintly and then tried to find a web SDR which would bring it in with a stronger signal and found that SDRs in Japan and South Korea could copy it well. Audio attached: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19eOTuAQ4MKZQma2yJUza3VtTa_CcHNdM/view?usp=sharing

I checked priyom.org and didn't see anything listed. Anyone know what this is?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 0330 UTC by jasmine »
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Unknown Numbers Station 4978 khz USB 17:28 UTC 21 Jan 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 1752 UTC »
That's the Chinese Robot, VC01. It's Chinese military - their air force, IIRC. VERY nice that you could copy it here in the USA.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 1524 UTC »
Thank you!
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 1426 UTC »
VC01 will probably change frequencies about the 1st of the month.  It used to change freqs on about the 6th of each month, but recently it has been changing about the 1st.  It moved to the current frequency set before 4 January.

4978 kHz USB is one of four frequencies that should be in use at this time, although only two total would have been active at the time you took the recording.  Typically the station has two sets of two frequencies, one in USB and one in LSB with the pair separated by a few MHz, and it changes freq sets twice a day.  These are probably day and night freqs, and they appear to be frpm different locations.  So two freqs (and possibly two locations) in operation for about 12 hours, then switching to the other set of two freqs.

For the last 12 months or so, at the minimum of the Solar Cycle, VC01 has been weak and less often heard at my location.  I could generally always find at least one freq, but weak and poorly heard.  For the last couple months it has been getting better.  In about a year you should be hearing both freqs pretty fair on the North American West coast.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA