We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: LINK- not 11?  (Read 1589 times)

Offline alleycat

• Binghamton, NY
    • View Profile
    • KC2KLC ham radio page
LINK- not 11?
« on: January 24, 2021, 0134 UTC »
Are there other LINK- signals besides LINK-11? I hear a 2.8 kHz-wide signal booming in perennially on 6942 kHz (upstate NY, U.S.) that sounds like LINK-11, but the pulses are very regular. The example on SigIDWiki has long bursts between regular short pulses, while the recording on FirstToken's YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-rtLRQUhg is characterized by a 'lilting' pulse. An audio example of what I'm hearing is posted to https://www.lutins.org/temp/6944_kHz.mp3, with a waterfall capture at https://www.lutins.org/temp/6944_kHz.jpg. Thanks for enlightening me!
allen lutins - KC2KLC
Binghamton, NY
Yaesu FT-897D, RTL-SDR Blog V3 & SDRPlay RSP1A
G5RV Jr dipole & Grove Omni-II discone
eQSLs welcome: kc2klc@lutins.net

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: LINK- not 11?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 0233 UTC »
That is still Link-11.  In this case it is Link-11 CLEW on 6942 kHz USB.

There are two kinds of Link-11, Link-11 CLEW and Link-11 SLEW, and they do sound different from each other.  In addition to the two types, Link-11 can be variable in sound, it is not always the same.  This variability depends on several things, for example how many nodes are in the network, and what part of the network you are hearing.

For Link-11 CLEW (the kind in your picture and audio example) the bursts themselves always contain certain aspects that are unchanging.  When properly tuned (6942 kHz USB in this case) there are three major portions of the signal that can help in IDing.  There is the Doppler Tone, which will be at 605 Hz audio, there is the Synchronization pulse, which will be at 2915 Hz audio, and there 14 channels of data between those.

Link-11 SLEW is somewhat similar in pulsing nature, but a totally different structure and sound.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 0334 UTC »
Anyone capture any Link 22 Tactical Digital Information Link (TADIL) audio samples or know of any active link 22 frequencies? Link 22 (STANAG 5522) is the next generation of Link 11 (MIL-STD-6011 / STANAG 5511).

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 1434 UTC »
Anyone capture any Link 22 Tactical Digital Information Link (TADIL) audio samples or know of any active link 22 frequencies? Link 22 (STANAG 5522) is the next generation of Link 11 (MIL-STD-6011 / STANAG 5511).

I have not knowingly heard, nor have I talked with anyone that has knowingly heard, Link-22.  But, Link-22 is in late testing, and if budget reports are to be believed has been on several platforms and vessels for some time during test and evaluation.  That may mean it has been heard and no one realized what they were hearing.

Reading the description it sounds like it may be similar to several modes already in use.  Could it already be out there and it is being confused for one of the other wide'ish PSK data modes?  Might some of the traffic that gets off handedly blamed on something else be it?

The other issue is that Link-22 is supposed to be backwards compatible with Link-11.  I assume that during such operation it will be indistinguishable or hard to tell from Link-11.  I think it is very possible people have heard Link-22 hardware in Link-11 mode.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA