We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Messing about UNID 4875 AM 2135 UTC 24 Jan 2021  (Read 416 times)

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Messing about UNID 4875 AM 2135 UTC 24 Jan 2021
« on: January 25, 2021, 1136 UTC »
Not Mystery Radio 21

Mystery Radio 21 was not on the air on 24 Jan 2021.

(came on the air after midnight UTC time)

edit on 27 Jan 2021 :
much fuss about that tip ! I found it with name= Mystery, time = 2135z, date = 24 Jan 2021,
merged in the European pirate forum (but moved from the N.American SW pirate forum).

As discussed below, it was really from 0135 UTC on 25 Jan 2021,
but posted initially with local EST time and date, UNID and in the wrong forum!
So, after many moves, and updates to the subject,
the situation was hard to untangle.

Now I have split the useful replies, and left the fuss here for your enlightenment.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 1609 UTC by Ray Lalleu »
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
Re: UNID 4875 AM 2135 UTC 24 Jan 2021
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 1405 UTC »
Thanks Frank and Ray. It could well have been Mystery Radio 21, as the original report from Alleycat was in fact posted at 1:39 UTC on 25 January as the UTC date. Not sure if he posted the wrong time and date, or if it got scrambled when moved to European Pirates. I bet this was that operator.
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 1440 UTC »
As the post from alleycat was dated '2135z' on 24 Jan 2021,
I had no doubts that the listening time was 2135 UTC at least when he began.

But as the post was stamped at 0139 UTC, could it be that his listening began at 0135 UTC ? And 2135 would have been his local time on the East Coast ?

After several changes of the subject line, it's more and more difficult to protect the data in the original subject.

I advise everyone to copy his first  time in the beginning of the text, even if not adding later more details with time for each one. Maybe the tentative ID at that time should be added too, if not really clear, at least if the post is the first of a new thread (and surely the frequency too, as many stations jump in the middle of a transmission). All that data a second time in the beginning of a posting is protected against every subject renaming.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 1452 UTC by Ray Lalleu »
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****

Offline alleycat

• Binghamton, NY
    • View Profile
    • KC2KLC ham radio page
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 0002 UTC »
Sorry for any confusion - I probably posted as I was listening, so the GMT timestamp may be correct; *possibly* I calculated it incorrectly from my local time zone (Eastern Standard), but as someone who's been an active utility monitor and ham operator since the late 1970's, I find it hard to believe I goofed this badly.

I notice the notation "Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 0817 UTC by Skipmuck" at the bottom of my post. Is there some way to know what the nature of that edit was?
allen lutins - KC2KLC
Binghamton, NY
Yaesu FT-897D, RTL-SDR Blog V3 & SDRPlay RSP1A
G5RV Jr dipole & Grove Omni-II discone
eQSLs welcome: kc2klc@lutins.net

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 0017 UTC »
Sorry for any confusion - I probably posted as I was listening, so the GMT timestamp may be correct; *possibly* I calculated it incorrectly from my local time zone (Eastern Standard), but as someone who's been an active utility monitor and ham operator since the late 1970's, I find it hard to believe I goofed this badly.

I notice the notation "Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 0817 UTC by Skipmuck" at the bottom of my post. Is there some way to know what the nature of that edit was?

Hello alleycat! I saw the discrepancy between the 2135 UTC in the Subject and the posting time of 0139 UTC, so I made a correction of the time to 0135 UTC and the date as the 25th. After looking at the changes I made to the time and the date, I realized that you might have heard it at 2135 UTC but posted it later at 0139 UTC. I had no way of knowing for sure, so I changed it back in hopes somebody would clarify the original posting. Sorry for the confusion, but if you posted in real time, then the subject time would be 0135 UTC and the date the 25th. I also had changed the title to Mystery Radio when I moved the posting to European Pirate, then merged it with the existing posting. I undid that also and left your posting as it was originally, but forgot to change the link from the North American pirate posting!

Here's the link to the post I originally merged it with, then "un-merged"
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,77222.0.html
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 0036 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's