We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: BCD436HP CB reception tells me I'm on a diff freq  (Read 1856 times)

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
BCD436HP CB reception tells me I'm on a diff freq
« on: January 26, 2021, 1130 UTC »
Hey there folks! Been awhile; I got a question! [NOTE: I've been into radio about 7 yrs but don't kno much about the math and technical matters. II'm working on it but I'm learning pусский/Russian right now, etc]

You can see I have a pair of those orig, old GE handheld CBs. I don't talk much on there bcuz barely anyone is around to talk to here at my present QTH, without EXT antenna. My point is I have talked to local ppl before. But it's rare. Otherwise I wouldn't have to come here to ask this:

I GOT A BCD436HP (like a month before their newest model came out!) and that radio tells me I'm on a completely different channel than on my CB. My other radios pick it up and it's the same channel. And it's been awhile since I tried it on my Grundig so I'll check that again later 2day.

Like earlier I heard ppl on ch28, on the BCD436HP. Locals. I tried calling for reception report, no response, but that's FINE...except the BCD said i was on channel 12.

Okay I've kinda forgotten what those frequencies channels are so I'll refresh my memory later today; ANYHOW ALL THE OTHER RADIOS ARE CONSISTENT.

so!...I kno I have definitely come to the right place! Whaddya think? And I'll check back in like 8 hrs or so. But take ur time I've got all the time in the world. Cпаcибо, товарищи!   (<----thank you comrades) 🦆🦆🦆
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 1136 UTC by [tRMZ] »
--------------------------------------
Upper MI's Copper Country
•Grundig Satellit 750• w/wire-clip
•Kaito 1103• w/wire-clip EXT ant
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•
2 •GE 3-5980A handheld CB•

(I got another EXT SW antenna but haven't taken it out of the box just yet!)

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: BCD436HP CB reception tells me I'm on a diff freq
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 1252 UTC »
'Old' CB was 23 Ch, 'New' CB is 40ch, may have something to do with it? Just a guess.....

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 1751 UTC »
Find someone with a frequency counter and have your radio checked out.

Back in the day - when tubes were king, to use your cb radio - legally, you had an obligation to have the radio aligned at least once every 6 months.  The smarter people did it themselves, since a lot of them built their own radio, they knew the alignment procedure.

Old radios used tubes and crystals, so if it was an old radio I would say the crystals are bad.

If it is synthesized I would say someone went in with the golden screwdriver and did a peek n tune and loused it up for you.  Take it to a cb radio shop and have it checked out - won't cost you much and peace of mind is worth every penny.

Keep your eye open for a decent base station radio and buy yourself some low loss coax and a decent antenna and forget about walkie talkies - they are toys , made for little kids and people that just wants local communications.  You aren't going to talk more then 3 or 4 miles with a handheld 11 meter radio with 5 watts..

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 2126 UTC »
Channel numbering and frequencies differ in parts of the world.  The UK channels are on different frequencies to the US, for example. Perhaps your Ch 28 is Ch 12 elsewhere.....long shot, I know.

What frequency does the scanner display when it is receiving your transmission on Ch 28?  Check that against this list.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens_band_radio

That will confirm if the problem is with the GEs or if the scanner is displaying the wrong Ch number.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 2128 UTC by Brian »

Offline jta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 1149 UTC »
I'd be willing to bet that the handi is simply overloading the front end of the scanner (and other portable radios). Tune around while transmitting - see if you can hear yourself on other frequencies.

Scanners and portable radios don't have much shielding and are likely to pick up close-by RF.  jta

Offline [tRMZ]

• MI's Copper Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 1713 UTC »
Hahahaha! You guys are awesome. I luv this site! But guess what? It IS the GE CB! 🤣

Okay so I finally tested it again on my other radios and...LO AND BEHOLD...it's messed up! But I'm sure you'll take my word that I had tested it out A LOT and it DID work 1 year ago HAHAHA!!

Oh man I almost feel like apologizing to you guys. I could've figured it out hahaha. Thank you all so much I will test its companion but it's just time to get a new handheld CB! these were FREE.

And know what? They worked a LONG time. I talked to "many" ppl a year ago. So yea those were made well! Thanks again I think I'll get back into SW so you'll probly see me around.
--------------------------------------
Upper MI's Copper Country
•Grundig Satellit 750• w/wire-clip
•Kaito 1103• w/wire-clip EXT ant
•Uniden BC125AT•
•Uniden BCD436HP•
2 •GE 3-5980A handheld CB•

(I got another EXT SW antenna but haven't taken it out of the box just yet!)

Offline chanito

• S.Texas
  • RF Exposeur
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 1610 UTC »
If the two CB walkie talkies can talk to each other when set to the same channel, it's doubtful that both would have the exact same failure causing an identical shift. I'm voting for spurious emissions or front end overload from the talkies.

Which GE talkies are they?
PCR-1000, PCR-1500, RSP1A, RSP1, VR-120D, HDT-1, Accurian HD, Royal 3000
Caras HF-315, Belar LP-1A, SuperAntenna MP-1, RatShack 20-043 discone, MLA-30, 100' wire

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns