We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DX-398 difficulties  (Read 3137 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
DX-398 difficulties
« on: July 14, 2012, 1855 UTC »
I figure someone over here will know how I can fix my silly mistake.  Boy do I feel like a lid... 

Somehow, while futzing with the settings on my DX-398, I accidentally set the third timer.  I have no flipping idea how I managed it, but now every day at quarter to twelve (1645 or so Z), the darn thing kicks in and starts playing 100.1-ish FM! 

Anybody know how the heck I cancel it without losing all my other settings?  I've tried a few things, no joy.  *facepalms* 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Nella F.

Re: DX-398 difficulties
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 2257 UTC »
I just did a google search: "dx-398 manual", and a pdf of the entire owners manual came up (free), the very first listing via www.cnyara.com. I have a dx-398 but I'm not @ home now to look thru manual... hope this works for you. (ps: you Can paper clip the reset button like I did a few years back. So what if it defaults to European memories. For a little while it was Not Boring.) ::)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 0146 UTC »
I do the reset thing with mine,too,Nella. I've owned the thing for nearly 15 years and still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles?

Chanter,most DX-398's/Sangean 909's will take a substantial antenna with no overloading,making it a good choice for your AM dx'ing.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 0921 UTC »
Thanks, you two!  Thanks also to the person who e-mailed me.  :)  Hopefully I've got it sorted now.  Also, Nella, I hadn't thought about paperclipping the reset button.  I'll remember that one if things ever blow up badly enough... but oh man do I ever not want to lose all my presets! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

cmradio

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 1119 UTC »
I've owned the thing for nearly 15 years and still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles?

Sounds like me with my cell phone.... can do a thousand things and all I use is for is *gasp* a PHONE! :D

Peace!

Nella F.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 2147 UTC »
Around 2006 or 7 my dx-398 began a "freezing-up" spazzing phase. As I recall it couldn't be turned off & the buttons didn't work. Eventually I got pissed off & did the reset thing, several times. I think it was paying me back for the time I accidently knocked it off the coffee table. The plastic "Radio Shack" piece (upper left corner) fell out so I glued it back in...upside down of course! (heh, heh, heh). Yeah, I got my own presets programed too that I would not want to have to reenter. ;)