We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: AM Rally 2021? Here we go! This Superbowl Weekend.  (Read 1449 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
AM Rally 2021? Here we go! This Superbowl Weekend.
« on: January 31, 2021, 2219 UTC »
Coming up this Stupid-bowl Weekend,    http://www.arrl.org/news/2021-am-rally-set-for-first-weekend-in-february    and    http://www.amrally.com/         Hmmmmmmm, wonder if I'll get QSL requests from SWL'ers this year? I did two years ago.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 1850 UTC by ThaDood »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Matt285

Re: AM Rally 2021? Here we go!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2021, 1858 UTC »
Darn, I missed it. I worked a half dozen stations last year during the contest and then some more a few days following. I'm running QRP now with a low antenna, so I think my chances for contacts wouldn't be that great. Hope you made some had some luck with it.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: AM Rally 2021? Here we go!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 1849 UTC »
No ya didn't. It's this Superbowl weekend, Feb. partial Friday the 5th, 6th, 7th, and good portion into Monday the 8th. You're good dude. What I've missed this year was Winter Field Day. O.F.W... Always next year, if we are still allowed to have HAM tickets buy then.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Matt285

Re: AM Rally 2021? Here we go! This Superbowl Weekend.
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 1927 UTC »
Thanks. I'll check it out. Even if just listening.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 1919 UTC »
Well, what I did work of the Rally, Sunday should have been better than Saturday. Saturday night, when I got back from work at stupid o'clock, all I heard was an earful of lightning crashes on 160M, 75M, and even 40M, due to T-storms in FL. Sunday, heard W7A picking them out on 20M, around 14.335MHz AM, but not strong, and too much SSB to fight around. 7290kHz and 7295kHz was nice around from 22:00 - 23:00UTC, when K0SF did moderating. 11 stations worked on that FREQ alone 7295. What ruined it at 6PM, my time, was the SW stations signing-on then. So, that's about when everyone QSY'ed to 75M. Nice go-around on 3880AM, where W8TOW did moderating. (Guess you can say that he was in-TOW. Hi-hi...) Anyway, nice go-around with 7 stations there, until they were fizzled away with supper, XYL calls, and Superbowl updates. I didn't hear much on AM on 160M and nothing on AM on 15M, and even though some weak "E" was heard on 10M, nothing on 29.000MHz AM. All in all, fun with AM. Thanks for all those that participated to make it that way.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 2056 UTC »
Saturday morning 20 meters (14335 & 14340 kHz) was open for a few hours.  W7A was S9 on the East Coast when I worked him at 16:40 UTC. He continued working stations at a rapid pace after that for a few hours. I caught him again on 15 meters (21430 kHz) at 19:03 UTC and he was a solid S9 but that was the only station I worked on 15M. I switched to 40 meters and worked a few stations until 2200 UTC. Sunday worked one station on 20m but the propagation was not as good as it was on Saturday. W7A was barely making it to the East coast on Sunday.
I stayed on 40 meters for most of Sunday afternoon, in all I worked a total of 17 stations with my 25 watts carrier.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 2058 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com