We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: oops! not actually a spy station, 6988 USB, 0114 UTC  (Read 3336 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
oops! not actually a spy station, 6988 USB, 0114 UTC
« on: June 21, 2012, 0123 UTC »
I just barely caught this one as I was tuning around looking for pirates.  At first I thought it was Galei Zahal, then went... no wait, too high.  Then I heard the first few letters the station was broadcasting - one letter/number at a time, with slight intervals between - and wondered if it was a ham spelling out his handle.  Nope, not a name.  I suspect this was a spy station.  As I say, I only caught the end of it, but I can say that it was a man's voice, presumably American, broadcasting in phonetic alphabet letters and numbers, ending with 'out'.  

This'll be the first English-language numbers station catch I've ever made, if I'm right.  

Edited to add: Thanks for the correction.  Ooooops!  This was apparently an EAM, and not a spy station after all.  Sowwy. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 1613 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: possible spy station, 6988 USB, 0114 UTC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 0247 UTC »
This was not a spy numbers station.  It was most probably a discrete AF transmission, the messages sounded EAM like.  And the callsign used was E2A (Echo 2 Alpha).  If you look for recordings of EAMs on the HF-GCS you will find examples that sound like what you heard on 6988 kHz USB.

T!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 1226 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 1612 UTC »
Oh beans!  Now I feel silly.  Thanks for the clue-in.  *facepalms* 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Swede P

• Berlin, Germany
  • Scholar of the waves
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 0639 UTC »
Oh beans!  Now I feel silly.  Thanks for the clue-in.  *facepalms* 

Don't feel silly. I for one learned something new from this so I am glad you mentioned it.
The law of unintended consequences has a positive side after all.  :)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns