We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HF Underground and Facebook?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline zackers

• View Profile
HF Underground and Facebook?
« on: February 07, 2021, 0435 UTC »
Yesterday I posted a link to www.hfunderground.com in response to a question about shortwave pirate stations in a discussion on Facebook. Facebook immediately removed my post because it "goes against community standards." What? What is there about this website that goes against their standards? I don't get it.
East Central Illinois
TS-850S, 40 meter full-wave loop, various dipoles

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: HF Underground and Facebook?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 0651 UTC »
I said the hell with facebook and Twitter about a decade ago. Did myspace, when it was coming back in 2012, then Just-In Timbrelake wiped out everyone's profile. (Yeah, WTF there...) The band Master introduced me to VK.com around 2013 / 14,   https://vk.com/realfreeradio and I believe that the Health Ranger, Mike Adams, is where I heard about Minds.com,   https://www.minds.com/groups/profile/876322093051867136  Been decent, so far. VK sometimes has some funky Sign-In quirks, but works most of the time, and I've yet to be flagged for anything. Passing thought. If I ever get decent service, besides DSL, I hope to expand Brighteon.com more with VID's, https://www.brighteon.com/dashboard/login   a.k.a. the ALT to Youtube. There's other options out there, we need to use and promote them.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 1317 UTC »
I almost daily post hfunderground.com links on Facebook without problem, so not sure what happened your case.  There's even an HF Underground facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/112273363488408
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 1706 UTC »
You should put up "sponsored posts" promoting pyramid schemes and other scams. They don't have a problem with those posts!

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 1813 UTC »
What's the difference between the 1933 book burnings in Germany and the 2021  Big Tech censorship going on today?

(Sounds like the beginning of a bad joke but there's nothing funny about it).
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Under30

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 0335 UTC »
What's the difference between the 1933 book burnings in Germany and the 2021  Big Tech censorship going on today?

Tech companies are just that, companies.
A private company or a forum can pretty much do what it wants.

If administration here (or any other social media site) says we can't talk about a particular subject, that's their right.

Under30

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 0347 UTC »
I almost daily post hfunderground.com links on Facebook without problem, so not sure what happened your case.  There's even an HF Underground facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/112273363488408

That's great Chris! :)
I don't do FB, but fear everything is moving there :(
Hopefully your actions will drive folks over here 🙂

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 1857 UTC »

'Tech companies are just that, companies.
A private company or a forum can pretty much do what it wants'.

I didn't say it was illegal, just a cause for concern.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 1859 UTC by East Troy Don »
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 2021 UTC »

Tech companies are just that, companies.
A private company or a forum can pretty much do what it wants.

If administration here (or any other social media site) says we can't talk about a particular subject, that's their right.

While what you say is true, those tech companies number just a handful, and control the political and other speech of hundreds of millions of Americans and probably a few billion people worldwide. The power they wield over the nation's (and the world's) dialogue and communication of ideas is considerable.

And while there are some concerns over the power and control these large social media companies have, there still is quite a large breadth of opinion and speech freely available on them. On just one of them, I can see anything from left wing rants to right wing religious conspiracy theories, and everything in between. I don't think we've reached the point yet of everything being controlled. Far from it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 2050 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 0142 UTC »
I would agree with you if APPLE, GOOGLE, FACEBOOK and TWITTER had any viable competition.
They don't.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 0202 UTC »
Civilization on this planet has existed long before the aforementioned platforms.  It will also exist long after they are gone.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2021, 0941 UTC »
I would agree with you if APPLE, GOOGLE, FACEBOOK and TWITTER had any viable competition.
They don't.

Then you also have this aspect of information dissemination:
https://www.businessinsider.com/these-6-corporations-control-90-of-the-media-in-america-2012-6
https://www.webfx.com/blog/internet/the-6-companies-that-own-almost-all-media-infographic/

Granted, these particular articles are from 2012 and 2017, but I don't think much has changed since then. A different side to the coin, maybe.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 0016 UTC »
DJ Mick Woods - FaceBook Prison Blues (Parody!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W01IwOGJQE4

André
CoolAM Radio Productions
http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 2045 UTC »
Well, I looked more into this and Facebook said the link to hfunderground.com violates their community rules about sexual content and nudity. WHAT? Where's the sexual content and nudity here? I want to see it.  ;)
East Central Illinois

Offline zackers

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 2049 UTC »
So I disagreed with their findings and I get a message that they have reviewed their decision and found that hfunderground.com does NOT violate their community standards, and allowed the post to be posted.
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
East Central Illinois