We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ADS-B ID discrepancies  (Read 1673 times)

Offline alleycat

• Binghamton, NY
    • View Profile
    • KC2KLC ham radio page
ADS-B ID discrepancies
« on: February 07, 2021, 2136 UTC »
I just got ADS-B software up and running on my RPS1A. I notice route discrepancies between the software it uses (Virtual Radar Server) and other information sources. For example, for Jetblue flight 634 (7 Feb 2021), I observe the following:
 - Virtual Radar Server (Ver. 2.4.4.36598) identifies origin as San Francisco & Destination as Boston
 - FlightRadar iPhone app identifies origin as Port-Au-Prince & Destination as New York (JFK)
 - FlightAware.com identifies origin (Port-Au-Prince, Haiti) & Destination (Syracuse, NY) [these appear to be correct based on the flight track]

So why the discrepancies, and who do I believe? Thanks and happy monitoring!
allen lutins - KC2KLC
Binghamton, NY
Yaesu FT-897D, RTL-SDR Blog V3 & SDRPlay RSP1A
G5RV Jr dipole & Grove Omni-II discone
eQSLs welcome: kc2klc@lutins.net

Offline cj468

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
Re: ADS-B ID discrepancies
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 1922 UTC »
From Google and FlightRadar24 it looks like JBU634 is scheduled Port-Au-Prince -> JFK. On 7-Feb it seems it diverted to Buffalo before continuing later to JFK.

I used to be a big VRS user. It relies (or did at the time) on community input  for route information. There was/is a web page where route info can be submitted. Routes on that system can be wrong / out of date especially around the time schedules switch from summer to winter timetables and vice versa, particularly for charter and seasonal flights. I guess no-one has submitted an updated route to Andrew (VRS owner/developer) for JBU634.

Update: The VRS route info site is still there (https://sdm.virtualradarserver.co.uk). It has been expanded to cover airport and airline codes as well as route data. You need to set up an account before you can submit data. There is a facility to show route history for a flight number ... For JBU634 the route SFO>BOS is shown coming from ACARS data on 2013-02-20 and has never been updated.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 1940 UTC by cj468 »
QTH: S.E. UK

Offline alleycat

• Binghamton, NY
    • View Profile
    • KC2KLC ham radio page
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 0249 UTC »
Thanks for the enlightenment! I too saw evidence of the flight diverting from JFK to Buffalo, but that doesn't make sense, because Buffalo is *way past* JFK if you're flying from Port-au-Prince!
allen lutins - KC2KLC
Binghamton, NY
Yaesu FT-897D, RTL-SDR Blog V3 & SDRPlay RSP1A
G5RV Jr dipole & Grove Omni-II discone
eQSLs welcome: kc2klc@lutins.net

Offline cj468

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 0913 UTC »
Sometimes FR24 seems to 'guess' at locations. Locally here, helicopters based at Redhill are shown as going to/from Gatwick, exec jets going to Northolt show as Heathrow etc.

In this case though FR24, Flightaware and PlaneFinder all show JBU634 going to BUF so I guess it went there.
QTH: S.E. UK

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns