We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Turning an £8 child's toy into a spectrum analyser  (Read 2188 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Turning an £8 child's toy into a spectrum analyser
« on: July 23, 2012, 1550 UTC »
The IM-me cost £8 from eBay although they can occasionally be found for even less. At the heart of the toy is a TI CC1110F32 SoC that combines a microcontroller, flash and sub-1GHz RF transceiver.

A variety of application software for the IM-me has been developed by Travis and others, including even a minimal operating system, the aptly named PinkOS. But the most useful application for this hardware comes from Michael Ossmann and turns it into a handy pocket spectrum analyser.

The bands covered by the spectrum analyser are:
281 – 361 MHz
378 – 481 MHz
749 – 962 MHz

http://www.designspark.com/content/turning-£8-childs-toy-spectrum-analyser

I understand Fansome is working on loading QNX onto it, and turning it onto an SDR.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

Re: Turning an £8 child's toy into a spectrum analyser
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 2252 UTC »
I have been amazed! ;D

peace!