We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Navy radio might be crippling Conn. garage doors  (Read 1766 times)

Fansome

Navy radio might be crippling Conn. garage doors
« on: July 24, 2012, 0144 UTC »
Navy radio might be crippling Conn. garage doors

The Associated Press Mon, Jul 23, 2012 (11:46 a.m.)

The U.S. Navy says a military new radio system may be keeping some people in southeastern Connecticut from opening and closing their garage doors.

Chris Zendan, a spokesman for submarine base in Groton, tells the Day of New London that the Enterprise Land Mobile Radio system can interfere with garage-door openers.

Overhead Door Co. of Norwich Inc. tells the newspaper it's been receiving complaints from several towns near the base, and has found no problem with its equipment.

Zendan says because of homeland security issues, the military has needed to use more radio frequencies, including some also utilized by the door openers.

He says the communication system, put in place last summer, is being used at many U.S. military installations to connect with civilian first responders.

cmradio

Re: Navy radio might be crippling Conn. garage doors
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 0331 UTC »
Nasty.

Maybe 49MHz will make a comeback for "door clickers"?

Peace!

Offline Northern Relay Service

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 1407 UTC »
Didn't you post a story about this last year , I am having major de-javu man ??? Seems to be a simplified version . Then again it could be my oldtimers.

Opened a few garage doors myself in my days .

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 2138 UTC »
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. However, I believe the previous story was somewhere else; for some reason Denver comes to mind.

Didn't you post a story about this last year , I am having major de-javu man ??? Seems to be a simplified version . Then again it could be my oldtimers.

Opened a few garage doors myself in my days .

Fansome

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 2150 UTC »
Ah, it was Seal Beach, CA. There's a large Naval weapons center there; in fact, my dad worked there for many years. http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,4819.0.html

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 2325 UTC »
Makes it easy to check your tire pressure.

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 1738 UTC »
Here's a funny scenario: somebody, say a "John Smith 6950" contacts the FCC to complain about said interference. He believes it is caused by a pirate radio station operating in the area. Virginia, Connecticut, whatever, they're in the same general area. Then local ham radio clubs could be contacted to help pinpoint said operator. The local legit TV and radio stations could get involved. And as soon as it is mentioned that a grenade(!!!) transmitter is involved homeland security will insist on helping. Hell, this story writes itself.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 0024 UTC »
Leave out the Grenade stuff until later in the year. I've got one of those. 

I don't need a vacation in Guantanamo during the hurricane season. Any time after Thanksgiving is good,though.

Where's Fansome? Did a sub steam up the Susquehanna and trap him in his garage door?

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns