We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Drama free weather  (Read 2286 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Drama free weather
« on: January 11, 2021, 1149 UTC »
I've been enjoying the drama free weather here in the Mid Atlantic. Cold, but no storms. 19F this morning which seems to be the low.

Not much rain likely the next two+ weeks:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 1154 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Drama free weather
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2021, 1308 UTC »
The weather in southern New England this winter has been a breeze so far.  While we have had 17 inches of snow for the season, only two inches have fallen since Dec. 21. Through late January, no snow is predicted here. Locally, temperatures have been running 5-10 degrees above normal with high's in 40's and low's in 20's.  This morning's brisk 17 degrees may have been the coldest of the season - very surprising not to have dipped into single digits or below zero by now.  It'll be interesting to see whether the local sugaring operations need to tap before Groundhog's Day, 20's to 40's is perfect for sap flow. 

This weather has got to be a crushing blow to Florida tourism - the pandemic, delayed/cancelled spring training, and weather not severe enough to drive impromptu travel.  There was one winter I went south for a couple of weeks just to get away from daily sub-zero weather at home.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 2116 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 1810 UTC »
Mild (for January) here in Michigan as well.  Daytime highs low to mid 30s and nighttime low around 20.
Ponds around here don't have enough ice on them to safely walk on.  Wind calm to light, no snow... lots of
people out walking and riding bikes in the various parks.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2021, 1159 UTC »
Well. finally got some drama...
just finished shoveling several tons of heavy wet global warming off my driveway.
Temp has been falling all night, down to 22F now, had to get the snow removed
before it freezes.  Couldn't even see my car, it looked like an igloo. 
Temps forecast in low teens for highs and around zero for lows for the next several days.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 1520 UTC »
We ended up with 10" of snow from the big storm earlier in the week, plus two minor nuisance dustings of 0.25", one this morning.

Looks like another chance this weekend, currently the bulk is modeled to fall just to my southeast:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 1058 UTC »
Some more drama here, picked up at least 6" of snow overnight...
hard to tell exactly with all the blowing and drifting. 
Shoveled the drive before going to sleep late last night to lessen the
same task this morning.  Would rather try to keep up with storm
than wait for it to end...  don't have a snowblower.
Temps have remained well below freezing here since my last post.
Several minor snowfalls plus last night have left well over a foot of
snow on the ground. 

Got to head back out in a bit and shovel out along the curb to
minimize the amount the city plow will dump in my driveway.

Update:    been shoveling pretty much continuous, got things under control,
came in to thaw out and take on some water, this cold dry WX is dehydrating.
Looks like about 6-8" storm total.  The winter storm warning set to expire at noon.
Mostly just light blowing snow at present.
Will be listening for city plow (if they come by today), the street is drifted over,
the 4x4s have no problem, the FWDs not going anywhere.

Well, the plow came by, made for another 2 hrs. of shoveling, time for
a hot shower and dinner.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 2254 UTC by pinto vortando »

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Drama free weather? Not here!
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2021, 1941 UTC »
Wow!!! Just west of Charleston, WV, they are describing it to the damages from the 6/2012 Durracio. Got power here, for now, since it comes from the next county, just east of me. Anyone whom can make it east, from just 10 miles west of me, have cleared out the store shelves locally. And, we've got another one-two punch in winter weather coming for the rest of this week. Some relief, Sunday the 21st, when it's expected to hit into the 40's. (Ooooooo, get out the speedos.) several amateur repeaters and radio stations are down, due to no power to them. 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 1820 UTC »

We are expecting 4-8 inches plus some ice from Thursday to Friday.  Four inches will put us at our yearly average of 45 with a month of snow season to go.  There's been at least a foot of snow on the ground since late January.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns