We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1560AM going bye-bye in NYC? Here's why.  (Read 3067 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
1560AM going bye-bye in NYC? Here's why.
« on: February 12, 2021, 2342 UTC »
I've heard why from a dude whom lives up that way. Clark, N1BCG, on a 3873AM QSO, told me that the station was offered $51M for, not the station and tower array, but for the +5 acre property alone! Whoa!!!! Somebody wants that space. O.F.W., at this point, is anyone going to miss it? Hey!!!! Maybe, another opening for Part #15 AM'ers.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1560AM going bye-bye in NYC? Here's why.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 0400 UTC »
In the words of Steve Miller... https://youtu.be/CkcrndYye60

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 0823 UTC »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 1706 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Online autovon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2021, 1737 UTC »
GH talked about this at the end of the latest World of Radio episode.
Default RX location is Wisconsin using various wire antennas. Other RX will be noted.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 1958 UTC »
Here's the math - I grew up in Queens in the 60's in a brick 2 family when they were the homes of first/second generation-Americans.  A formerly owned brick 2 family on a tenth of an acre now goes for $1,500,000 plus  - a new one more.  If you put ten of them on an acre (radio site was 5 acres) and get $2 million per for new construction, you have earned $100 million less land/construction costs.  That's with only 50 units built.  A single apartment building, condo complex, or commercial building would probably net more.

Here's an example of a Queens brick 2 family, just the half of the building on the right for sale.
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/16126-28th-Ave_Flushing_NY_11358_M48617-45137

RH, you're right.  This is take the money and run to the new second house in the Hamptons.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 0043 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 0201 UTC »
My god Ct Yankee. By my fuzzy math it looks like the property taxes went up 440% in 10 years. Unreal. How in the hell do people afford the prices? Would like to see the sales history of the building. I'm going to go out and kiss the ground of my 5 acres of Ohio flatland just like the pope.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline jta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 1609 UTC »
It's all about the money:

They sold the original WFME (FM) for $40 Million.
They bought 1560 for $12 Million.
They sell 1560 for $51 Million.

You do the math.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: 1560AM going bye-bye in NYC? Who's capitalizing the FREQ last night?
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 1851 UTC »
Probably should be under the MW DX posting, but while we're still on the 1560AM subject here... I wonder if one of those other 1560's were what I heard air Fibber McGee & Molly at 3AM last night. No ID, no promos, but damn good S+20/9 signal off the Windom, and very little fading. Hmmmmmmmm??? Who' dat, who' dat???

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2021, 1858 UTC »
Prices in the city are insane.  See any of Louis Rossmann's videos for more on the subject.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline jta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 0101 UTC »
OK, they sold the site but did they turn in the license? If not, they could make even more money by selling it to a party interested in rebuilding for the frequency...

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: 1560AM going bye-bye in NYC? Coming back with 5kW?
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2021, 1840 UTC »
Word on da street has it that the NYC 1560kHz FREQ will be back on-air with 5kW. Anyone else heard that?

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: 1560AM going bye-bye in NYC? Here's why. They are back???
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 2007 UTC »
UPDATE: JTA heard it on a couple of night ago, and it sounds like I heard it on the drive home at 04:25UTC last night, playing a slow, acoustic guitar, music. No announcements. So, did anyone miss 'em?