We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 730 UNID  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
730 UNID
« on: August 13, 2012, 0939 UTC »
I really wish I could figure out what this was!  I tried to match it to multiple Internet streams, no luck.  They were either incorrect, unreliable, or not extant at all.  Darn it!  Anybody have a clue?  Here's my log. 

730, UNID, 0838-0901.  English to Spanish translations of the closing ceremony of the Olympics in London.  Into Spanish talk in a female voice just at the hour, then definitely heard Big Ben's chimes.  SIO originally 333, fair in some static and subject to interference from both sides, but signal degraded to 322 with time. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: 730 UNID
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 1045 UTC »
730 AM is a local channel in the US with stations all over the country (as you probably know), so not too easy to pin down.... (including one in my town. I don't think that's the one :D )

This is just a stab in the dark from a Google search, but they do have Spanish programming:

KSVN-AM Salt Lake
http://www.fm88-108.nl/radio/?usa-spanish-am-radio&q=Ke+Padre+Radio+SALT+LAKE+KSVN+AM&frq=730

730 is right between two 50kw channels, according to this:
http://freeradiocafe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2484

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 1050 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 0235 UTC »
I really wish I could figure out what this was!  I tried to match it to multiple Internet streams, no luck.  They were either incorrect, unreliable, or not extant at all.  Darn it!  Anybody have a clue?  Here's my log. 

730, UNID, 0838-0901.  English to Spanish translations of the closing ceremony of the Olympics in London.  Into Spanish talk in a female voice just at the hour, then definitely heard Big Ben's chimes.  SIO originally 333, fair in some static and subject to interference from both sides, but signal degraded to 322 with time. 

From previous posts here, looks like you're in WI.  This could easily be XEX from Mexico City listed at 100kw.  I hear them frequently from my location.  As Poet mentioned, KSVN also broadcasts in Spanish, but that indeed would be a rare catch from these parts.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 0638 UTC »
Kilo I also heard this last night and could not ID it. I want to say around 0600 UTC +/-.  Also did you hear the intermittent morse code IDs? I picked up an X and what I think was a U. The way they sent it reminded me of the Cuban time stations. Just not as frequent. After about 30 minutes I stopped trying to ID and wrote it off. Also propagation changed and I lost the station to the noise and other DX..
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 1247 UTC »

From previous posts here, looks like you're in WI.  This could easily be XEX from Mexico City listed at 100kw.  I hear them frequently from my location.  As Poet mentioned, KSVN also broadcasts in Spanish, but that indeed would be a rare catch from these parts.

Ah, that sounds more likely, but it didn't show up in my search.   I thought he was out west somewhere, so the Utah station would have been more of a possibility.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 2038 UTC »
Thanks to everyone for the lovely info and help, both here and via e-mail.  I've since been able to catch this station again, and yes, it is in fact XEX out of Mexico City.  Woohoo! :)  

P.S.: The intermittent Morse sounded like it was part of a promo or commercial the station was running.  It went by way too flippin' quick for me to catch definitively, but it was always paired with 'T Estadio' or possibly 'te estadio'.  I assume by that snippet that it was TXW in Morse.  I'll be trying to catch it properly when/if I can get XEX in again. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 2042 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.