We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SSTran AMT5000 mediumwave transmitter  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
SSTran AMT5000 mediumwave transmitter
« on: July 30, 2012, 1409 UTC »
I was browsing around and found that SSTRAN is now selling a new transmitter, called the AMT5000:

http://www.sstran.com/#AMT5000

Years ago I built one of the AMT3000 kits and it was fun and easy to put together. Works amazingly well for around the house and neighborhood broadcasting. The AMT5000 looks like a nice step up. The owner of SSTRAN is really responsive.

Has anyone built one of these yet? Looks like it would be a fun winter project.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
Re: SSTran AMT5000 mediumwave transmitter
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 2154 UTC »
Strangely enough, I've not been able to find one good lab (or real world) test of the new unit. Dozens of test have been performed on the 3000 version but nothing worth reading on the 5000 that I can find. Seems like a nice improvement over the old 3000 series. A couple of folks I've spoken with told me it works well. But that was throwing a piece of wire across the floor. Hardly a worth while test in my book. This kit also looks promising. I spoke with a gent last year who owns one and loves it. He has the higher power version.

http://www.aspisys.com/ampll.htm

Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: SSTran AMT5000 mediumwave transmitter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 1628 UTC »
Neat, thanks for the link, I hadn't seen that transmitter before. The obvious advantage it has over the SSTRAN unit is the digital frequency tuning. With the SSTRAN you have to tune with dip switches. I guess it probably really doesn't matter that much, though, since you won't be retuning all that much.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns