We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Strange Story of DC's Lost AM Radio Station Still Transmitting Inauguration  (Read 1205 times)

Offline PirateSWL

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Brian D. - PirateSWL
Pirate Radio Shortwave Enthusiast from NY
RX: ICOM 7300 / 40m dipole
Not embarrassed to admit I often use Shazam ; )
eQSL greatly appreciated to PirateSWL@aol.com

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
That is THE best kind of radio mystery, something I could only dream about. It's like a sc-ifi story where people find a radio station abandoned 50 years ago and turn it on, and it's playing tapes of the personalities from back then.

There is a station that broadcasts on one day a year, official broadcast, not pirate!
K-Bear Radio

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
There is a station that broadcasts on one day a year, official broadcast, not pirate!

That's Radio Öömrang. They broadcast every February 21st for one hour starting at 1600 UTC on 15215 kHz. The broadcast is in German, English and Frisian.

The signal to the U.S. (at least upper Midwest where I am) is solid, S9+20.
Minneapolis, MN

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns