We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Looking for Linear Power Supply  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: Looking for Linear Power Supply
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 0729 UTC »
Doesn't look the best and would be meant for short speach overs not long constant transmissions. The construction looks like a dog's dinner (I'm being polite BTW)

Good luck with it!

For your future reference pictures can be hosted on picture hosting websites that will generate a link.

All eBay items have an I.D. number.

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Offline TRI International

• DXing Phenomena
  • U.S.A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2021, 2139 UTC »
Thanks Cool AM, had purchased two of them they came in yesterday  8). Just have to install , setup and test lol.
We need another card to shut out the draught HW ABT URS?
Use Shazam app. to ID songs, listening direct Airspray RTL SDR , Ham It UP Plus connected to 2 V shape long wires  40ft. high with a MFJ 941C Antenna tuner
QSL to trlinternational@yahoo.com or  trlinternational@protonmail.com

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2021, 2002 UTC »
I'm coming in a bit late on this but if you decide to parallel two or more power supplies, one thing to watch for/be careful of is that the output voltages of the two (or more) power supplies have to be pretty well matched when under load. (There might be an output voltage adjustment.) If the output voltages are not well matched, you will get what I call "current steering" - current from the supply at the higher voltage will source current into the supply at the lower voltage.

The amount of current will depend upon the voltage difference between the supplies and the input/output resistance of the two supplies. (This is due to Ohm's Law.) The supply that is sinking current (the one that is taking in the current) may or may not be receptive to that current that is being "forced down its throat". It depends upon how it is designed. In some cases, you may actually then see its output voltage rise to correspond with the increasing current because the regulator can't sink current (i.e., accept current) well. You may not get what you expect when this happens and if one of the supplies is sinking current, it is not helping you by supplying current to the load, your amplifier.

The usual solution to this is to put diodes in series the output of all the power supplies before the junction where they are combined. This would keep the supplies from sinking current. However, in this case, you are talking about "lots of Amperes", and you would need to find some high current diodes and/or parallel the diodes to meet the current expectations when operating normally.

So, bottom line, if you don't want to go through the whole diode thing, just keep the power supply voltages pretty well matched while under load. You will know that they are matched if you actually see the double/triple current you expect and not somewhat less current at the load.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 1802 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 0059 UTC »
The devices off eBay can be a copy of the originals from China like software programable hardware boards that worked fine for me. When it comes to RF devices I also had to get refunds from re stamped junk.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 2044 UTC »
Noisy Chineseium power supplies hooked to broadband amp with no output filtering and insufficient thermal dissipation for continuous use.

What could go wrong?
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns