We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Time Is Running Out for FrankenFMs – Just 4 Months Left  (Read 896 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
The clock is still ticking for FrankenFMs, legacy analog low-power TV stations broadcasting on channel 6 with signals heard at 87.7 FM, on the far left end of the dial. The FCC has determined all analog television signals must convert to digital by July 13 of this year, and just issued a public notice reminding broadcasters of that deadline.

The Commission is pretty unequivocal in its warning:

``By 11:59 p.m. local time on July 13, 2021, all LPTV/translator stations must terminate all analog television operations regardless of whether their digital facilities are operational. Stations that have not yet constructed a digital facility must cease analog television operations no later than July 13, 2021, and remain silent until construction is completed. If a station goes silent prior to completing construction of its digital facility, it may file a request for silent authority.``

Full story:  http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2021/03/07/time-is-running-out-for-frankenfms-just-4-months-left/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Time Is Running Out for FrankenFMs – Just 4 Months Left
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 0729 UTC »
A couple of these "franken FM's" apparently get ratings, especially the one in Chicago. I guess they'll have to look elsewhere for a means to transmit.... maybe an HD2 FM channel.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Kingbear Radio

• Universe
  • Kingbear Radio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 0745 UTC »
According to some in the business, Chicago created a whole new oldies format, connected with their ME-TV brand.

If you ask me, the FCC and broadcasters should work on extending the FM band downward into channel 5-6 area, maybe to 76 mhz as proven radios exist with that coverage range, and it would be no problem to add it to new digitally tuned radios with small design changes.

Reason? The US sorely needs more FM frequencies in the larger cities, especially with HD carriers taking extra bandwidth in larger cities as well.
K-Bear Radio

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 1840 UTC »
You stall have CA (DT) classed TV stations broadcasting from channels 2 - 6 on VHF low band in the USA. Few today, but still some, like WDTV, CH5, (And yes, RF CH5.), in Clarksburg, WV is one of them. Yet, back in the 70's, the FCC let commercial two-way dispatch station exist in what's know to be the UHF "T" band from 470MHz - 512MHz, or the lower portion of the UHF TV band, if a UHF TV station didn't exist in that city of operation. I do agree though, that better spectrum usage from 54MHz - 88MHz could be had. There's still R/C (Voiceless.), usage around 74MHz. The big problem that's feared though is Sporadic "E" interference that this part of VHF exhibits. It's just the nature of the beast. (To take a cue from April Wine tunage.) Japan certainly doesn't seem to have a problem with FM stations there, as evidence of radios meant for that market that still make their way here. Certainly, would be good down there for lower powered stuff, like more LPFM, translators, and non-commercial stations under 1kW. Sure... They'll still skip in the Summer, but not like a 50kW station. Hmmmmmmmm... Does anyone know just what the N.A.B's stance is on 54MHz - 88MHz? I wonder...  Anyway, my take, and $0.02 worth.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns