We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio DJ Who Replaced Classical Music With Rap Faces The Music  (Read 5729 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/08/11/radio-dj-who-replaced-classical-music-with-rap-faces-the-music/

LAUDERDALE LAKES (CBSMiami) — After exchanging his rhymes for crimes, a radio disc jockey who replaced music on a local classical station with offensive rap music decided to “face the music”.

CBS4 news partner The Miami Herald reports Romayne Davis, 32, of Lauderdale Lakes, turned himself in for infiltrating WKCP Classical South Florida’s (89.7 FM) airwaves.

Davis is charged with one count of unauthorized transmission/interference with a public radio station.

After receiving a listener complaint, Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives searched an Oakland Park warehouse at Northwest 23 Way and retrieved radio equipment Davis used to broadcast his signal on 89.5 FM since March 2012. Davis was not present during the raid.

The playlist included songs by artists R. Kelly and T-Pain.

Davis, who DJ’s for Joker Boy Entertainment, was released on bond.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Nomad

• View Profile
Re: Radio DJ Who Replaced Classical Music With Rap Faces The Music
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 1943 UTC »
This specific DJ did the same thing in New York. Except it was some sister station of NPR, I think.

If you're going to play rap, good God, please don't play T-Pain or R. Kelly . . play some real rap.

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 1732 UTC »
I hate it when non-technical reporters write articles on technical issues like this.

"Infiltrated" how?  Did he take over the STL?  From the article it's not clear, but I'm guessing that's probably what he did.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 1443 UTC »
I hate it when non-technical reporters write articles on technical issues like this.

"Infiltrated" how?  Did he take over the STL?  From the article it's not clear, but I'm guessing that's probably what he did.

Nope, he was a dumbass who set up a high-power rig on an adjacent channel to the public radio station (Davis was on 89.5, the pubcaster on 89.7). Dirty transmitter run out of a dirty warehouse. I hate to say it, but he deserved what he got.

I hate it when non-technical pirates make the rest of us look bad like this.

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 1731 UTC »
So then he wasn't really trying to "take over" or "infiltrate" the licensed station's signal, but was pirating on a frequency just 200 kHz away and interfering.  The article makes it sound like he was deliberately trying to take over WKCP's signal.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns