We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Transceiver/Receiver with “pre-recording”  (Read 1137 times)

Offline KidForToday

• View Profile
Transceiver/Receiver with “pre-recording”
« on: March 09, 2021, 1822 UTC »
Hi All,
Looking for a radio that has a feature like this:

You know when you’re casually scrolling through the bands, and you come across something interesting, and think “hey I should have been recording that!” Is there a radio with a feature that you can press “record” and it will record the past 10-30 seconds of audio that has already past? I think the IC-7300 can do this, as well as Kenwood radios with the VGS-1 installed. Any other radio that can do this? I assume SDR maybe?
EN34/SE MN
Airspy HF+ Discovery w/Youloop
IC-2200H (VHF)
HTX-100 (10m)
Yaesu VR-500
Kaito KA1103

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Transceiver/Receiver with “pre-recording”
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 2303 UTC »
Hi All,
Looking for a radio that has a feature like this:

You know when you’re casually scrolling through the bands, and you come across something interesting, and think “hey I should have been recording that!” Is there a radio with a feature that you can press “record” and it will record the past 10-30 seconds of audio that has already past? I think the IC-7300 can do this, as well as Kenwood radios with the VGS-1 installed. Any other radio that can do this? I assume SDR maybe?

I routinely have my SDRs recording, even if I am doing casual listening. One advantage with an SDR is you can record an entire SWBC band at the same time, not just one frequency. Great if you need to go back and double check an ID, etc.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline KidForToday

• View Profile
Re: Transceiver/Receiver with “pre-recording”
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 0047 UTC »
At this point I think that’s the best option. Really the only reason I’d like to do this is so that I don’t have to go back and sift through a huge recording to cut out what I want to save, but I think that might be the only option. It’d be great if we could start recording after hearing a signal and thinking “hey, this sounds like something I’d like to save.”

I have many many recordings of HF aero frequencies but usually have only half the conversation since I’m not recording during the several minutes of silence between transmissions, and miss the initial calls.
EN34/SE MN
Airspy HF+ Discovery w/Youloop
IC-2200H (VHF)
HTX-100 (10m)
Yaesu VR-500
Kaito KA1103