We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Supreme Court sides with FCC in loosened Media Ownership rules  (Read 851 times)

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email

Perfect timing for the owners of Tribune Publishing currently in attempts to sell organization or parts thereof.  Price probably jumped a little this morning.

https://www.wctrib.com/news/nation/6964348-U.S.-Supreme-Court-lets-FCC-loosen-media-ownership-rules
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Supreme Court sides with FCC in loosened Media Ownership rules
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 0329 UTC »
I also heard through the grapevine that ihateradio is making large cuts to engineering and programming.  Some engineers are now tasked with keeping 50 or more signals on.  There is also rumors that the format lab is back again with a new twist....audio will now originate from a system at the transmitter.  All stations running the same format will run the same log, coast to coast.

This comes on the coat tails of a UK company now controlling almost half of the company.  The end is nigh.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Supreme Court sides with FCC in loosened Media Ownership rules
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 0154 UTC »
Radio has lost maybe 50-60% of their revenue (when accounted for inflation) since 2005. The corona economic impacts have only cut in to what revenue is left.

Expect a lot of changes all over. It isn't just IHeart that has had cuts. Some Hubbard, Sinclair, Salem and Entercom radio stations have also seen some cuts. Now that Entercom has changed names, I would expect that somewhere down the line other changes are in order as well.

Consolidation has its negatives, but it can keep marginal stations on the air. After Dereg 1996, when a company owned 'clusters' of stations, marginal stations usually were programmed with formats that weren't super popular (classic country, oldies, classic hits, sports talk networks, alternative talk, standards, etc.) just to keep the stick on the air, and they'd market the station as an add-on for commercial sales, as usually another station in the cluster was making the big money.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).