We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Sony FX-300 Jackal: AM / FM / TV / Cassette REC from late 70's.  (Read 1537 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Doesn't this SWLing rip bring you back to 1978?     https://swling.com/blog/2021/03/the-sony-fx-300-jackal-a-holy-grail-technological-marvel-of-the-late-70s/     Actually, the Sony that I'd like to have in my collection is that rare mid-70's, large AM / FM / SW , with SSB / CW, portable with LED digital read-out. Model # escapes me. Anyway, I've taken TV portables, like the preceding, to hilltops and did some neat TV DX'ing +30 years ago. +120 miles away, even on UHF, could be had. I still have a knock-off, Unisonic 5" B&W TV only portable from 1979, that I like to show-off to kids today. Many of them, seeing B&W TV for the very 1st time. Damn... I still remember when having a color TV was a big deal. 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
That Sony Jackal 300 is a Japanese model, with the Japanese FM band, back identification plate in Japanese. No SW bands.
Although  labelled 'solid state', the screen seems to be a CRT from an oscilloscope. So most probably only black and white, and of course only for use in Japan at that time. Probably the only way to get an image on the screen is to use an older Japanese TV recorder with modulator output.

There were small portable TV receivers sold in other countries, but only with the national TV standard of each country, not for traveling abroad. All are just good for radio/TV museums !
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Well, since Japan analog TV was also the North American NTSC format, this would have worked pretty well over here. Granted, PAL and SECAM, were superior colour analog formats, but North America was their biggest market. We still have Digital off-air ATSC to analog NTSC converters over here, and I can still show-off a black & white 5 inch portable TV that I have from 1979. So, good chance that Sony TV / radio / cassette combo was not made for a PAL format TV market, but could still play as a novelty here. Interesting insight, thought. Merci & soixante-treize.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ShamS

• View Profile
As a kid I was lucky enough to be able to use my parents Sony TV (about a 6 inch screen) AM/FM radio and cassette player. I used to lay in bed at night tuning in distant radio stations. TV in Australia at the time (early 1980s) closed down at midnight in our area.

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
I checked further. Yes, the Japanese TV system was very similar to the US one (M system in 525 lines, with NTSC color, but don't say NTSC about a black and white TV set).

The main difference was about the low VHF channels :
- no TV channels below 90 MHz
- instead, channels J-1 to J-3 where placed between 91 and 108 MHz
(and the Japanese FM band was 80 to 89 MHz)

If an American TV modulator output is above 170 MHz, it should be compatible.
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***