We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: weird music? on 7078kHz  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
weird music? on 7078kHz
« on: August 24, 2012, 0433 UTC »
Anybody have an idea as to just what the heck this is?  Every evening around 0100Z, no matter where I cart the radio, I hear what I'd swear is supposed to be music of some sort centered on 7078 or 7079kHz, clearest in USB, but audible in LSB as well, and probably AM too.  There are at least two lines involved, one lower than the other, and whatever this is, it plays for a minute or so, pauses for a few seconds, then resumes.  The thing is, no matter what I try, I can't get it tuned in properly; it always sounds as though it's off-key, with weird eerie half-steps and odd pitches. 

Anybody have a clue what I'm getting here?  At first I thought it might've been a harmonic of Bangkok Meteo, but no joy.  Is this some weird digital mode? 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
Re: weird music? on 7078kHz
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 0559 UTC »
hams run psk in that area
there is free decode software online
"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Offline vinoul

• Chicagoland - NW Suburbs
    • View Profile
Re: weird music? on 7078kHz
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 0956 UTC »
Probably JT65 digital mode... the watering hole is 7076 + offset.  It sounds like a bunch of musical tones...   :D