We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pop Shop Radio (Channel 292 relay) eQSL's, QSL/bumper sticker to come  (Read 460 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wow, within an hour of sending a reception report today (April 10) to Pop Shop Radio for their delightful music program relayed via Channel 292, I received a lengthy email and four attachments plus a promise of a bumper sticker and then some  ;D.  Both program and replies are impressive.  Wasn't there another guy from Hope into music, a sax player maybe...... ;)

https://imgur.com/a/t88Bs7S

"This is to verify your reception of Pop Shop Radio via Channel 292 in Rohrbach Waal in Germany on 9670 khz at 2119 to 2149 UTC on 10 April 2021.

I will send a QSL card and a station sticker along with our programme schedule to you on Monday  I have attached a copy of the schedule as a PDF File

By the way -- I now have a website on http://www.popshopradio.ca
At the site you can see the broadcast schedule and listen to the programme broadcast the previous week (in stereo!)

I am in fact in Canada and record the show and ship it off to Germany. I am originally from Pittsburgh PA in the USA and immigrated to Canada ten years ago.

I have been a shortwave listener since I was 10 years old -- wow - way back in 1967. I have so many great memories -- Radio Luxembourg, BBC World Service (especially Top 20), Radio Nederland etc ... Plus all our great top 40 stations of old WABC, WLS, WCFL, CKLW and CHUM. I did work in radio at a small 500 watt AM station back in the mid 70s, and at an FM station in the late 1980s. This is my first venture back to airwaves since January 1 1989 when I did the last broadcast on a small AMer that went dark. Never ever did I imagine that someday I'd be reaching an audience around the world on the same wavelengths as some of the great shortwave broadcasters I so admired. I am enjoying doing it as it brings a much needed break from the sad state the world finds itself in. It is just my little way of reaching out to the world to say "Hi from Canada! Aren't things a bit crazy? Let's try to remember a simpler time and have some fun." As I am an immigrant from the USA to Canada I want the world to know that you have all got a friend in Canada. If I make someone happy through the medium of shortwave, and do so without gloom and doom and politics, that is enough reward for me. It is a labour of love for me.

I am trying to play a whole variety of pop music, such as that of the 1960s and 1970s that was played on Top-40 radio stations in North America as well as stations like Radio Luxembourg. As I live in the town of Hope in British Columbia, I want to use it to promote the town a bit. We had a Top-40 medium wave station, CKGO 1240 khz, at one time in the 1970s, but it was absorbed into a boring corporate owned FM station that has no personality.  I am trying to re-create the sound of Top-40 radio of the 1960s and 1970s with a lot of music of all types and all the jingles. I want the show to be everything that the boring FM corporate stations are not. It's cool that  your wife remembered the Davy Jones song!

Hope is a small town of around 6000 people located about 150 km to the east of the city of Vancouver.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope,_British_Columbia

I hope to launch a transmission on WBCQ in the summer and will be doing a special edition of the show on a internet only station starting in May

Tony
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 0022 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)