We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Communications receiver  (Read 3793 times)

Offline acl12

• View Profile
    • Email
Communications receiver
« on: September 04, 2012, 2007 UTC »
Hi. I've asked for advice on here before and got a lot of constructive feedback. Anyway I'm looking at buying a communications receiver to cover from 50 kHz to 30 MHz. I haven't got my radio license yet but was thinking of maybe doing it in a few months time. So should I go for an icom r75 or an frg 100 or buy a transceiver like the icom 718. The reason I'm asking this question is that I'm not a 100% certain I am going to get my license but didn't want to spend money on a communications receiver and then have to buy a transceiver on top if I do decide to go for my license next year. Has anybody got any suggestions? Also what are transceivers like the icom 718 like as communications receivers ? Is it best to go for receivers and transceivers seperatley  rather than all on ones .  Thanks

Offline acl12

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Communications receiver
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 0835 UTC »
Think I've sorted it so no worries. I'll get an frg100 for about £200 and worry about a transceiver if/when I go for my license. Cheers

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 2158 UTC »
From what I've read, the FRG-100 is a great receiver.  I also read on another forum (prob. EHam) that it helps to read the manual for that receiver, as there are some functions that apparently aren't obvious from looking at the front panel.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline The Hokie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 0445 UTC »
I never had a Frog 100, but my first ham rig was an FT-840 from the same era - great little radio. Something to be said for keeping things simple.

Was also very easy to modify for all-band transmit, but that's another topic  :P
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 2046 UTC »
Any of the amateur transceivers, like an IC-718, will make and excellent communications receiver. The receiver in the IC-718 is really not any different from the IC-R75.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns