We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: No Drought About It  (Read 284 times)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
No Drought About It
« on: May 05, 2021, 1317 UTC »
Hey All,

After a long  and somewhat worrying dry spell, we are FINALLY getting "some" rains.

Localized dry air incursion has been a problem here. Systems move in , but then get locally desiccated, so that the heavier precip becomes more spotty. I haven't seen a generalized widespread are of "moderate to heavy" of rain that lasts very long for a quite a while.

Although we are  sort of drifting back toward an average rainfall total for the year, I'd still like to see more water and faster , if I could.I like to look at the 300 MB future depiction animation as my general guide to at least a few days out.

FWIW, I was a   volunteer for  10 years plus  at the 135 year old Blue Hill Weather Observatory/ Climatelogical Research Station in Milton, MA  (as radioman deluxe, mechanic, clerical, chief cook /bottle washer, some observation work, etc, etc). But other life commitments forced me to eventually  drift down from the hill.

K
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 1322 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline Σ

• Blog author
    • View Profile
    • ΣSDR KiwiSDR online
Re: No Drought About It
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 2029 UTC »
After a long  and somewhat worrying dry spell, we are FINALLY getting "some" rains.

Localized dry air incursion has been a problem here. Systems move in , but then get locally desiccated, so that the heavier precip becomes more spotty. I haven't seen a generalized widespread are of "moderate to heavy" of rain that lasts very long for a quite a while.

Although we are  sort of drifting back toward an average rainfall total for the year, I'd still like to see more water and faster , if I could.I like to look at the 300 MB future depiction animation as my general guide to at least a few days out.

Yes, surprisingly when digging in the gardens the soil isn't as dry as expected. This week of rain has been helpful for the plants and to help fill up my soon-to-be opened swimming pool.

FWIW, I was a   volunteer for  10 years plus  at the 135 year old Blue Hill Weather Observatory/ Climatelogical Research Station in Milton, MA  (as radioman deluxe, mechanic, clerical, chief cook /bottle washer, some observation work, etc, etc). But other life commitments forced me to eventually  drift down from the hill.

That sounded like an interesting job!

- Rob
- Rob

CT/MA border
Afredri SDR-Net with multiband dipole at 65 ft.
Email: commsigma@gmail.com
KiwiSDR online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 1249 UTC »
sounded like a cool job at the WX station  8)
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 1807 UTC »
 Indeed, lots of cool fun.
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42