We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Looking for suggestions for a circa 4100 kHz directional antenna  (Read 1508 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
I'd like to build an antenna for the 4100 kHz unlicensed beacon band, with directivity towards the desert SW where most of these beacons are thought to live. While I've got a fair bit of room for large antennas, I don't really have the adequate space to install a long Beverage (my first choice) aimed that direction (about 270-280 degrees based on great circle maps), without running a *lot* of coax into the woods to locate the feedpoint there.

So looking for suggestions for some potential antenna designs. One thought is a KAZ/D-KAZ (or another MWDX antenna) scaled down for that band. Any input on the feasibility of that, or other antennas I should be considering?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
I would say flag or pennant, but since it can be stationary with fixed directivity for your purpose, perhaps even just an EWE antenna. Tweak the terminating resistor value to peak your desired band.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Some folks have had good luck with the D-Kaz on lower frequencies, especially medium wave.  Perhaps this could be scaled down slightly for 4 MHz?
http://durenberger.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/D-KAZ-COOKBOOK-Pt1.pdf

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline M R I

• View Profile
After you implement your antenna choice. Let us know your results.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Online Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Look at the design of reversible Beverage antennas :
they use a double wire, and components to reverse the beam,
so you could get a feed point near your house.
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****

Offline syfr

• View Profile
2 element inverted vee array?
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535