We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: XEPRS 1090 am 0315 utc 05 Jun 2021  (Read 681 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
XEPRS 1090 am 0315 utc 05 Jun 2021
« on: June 05, 2021, 0320 UTC »
English service, Excellent reception from Rosarito, Baja California - about 465 air miles from me.  My first ever Mexican MW catch.  Apparently, per some online research, this was the station (in its former incarnation as XERB) in American Graffiti with Wolfman Jack.

0315 Scott Ferrall commenting on Clippers/Mavs NBA playoff game in progress and yesterday's Lakers game.  "I hope everyone in Southern California hears me loud and clear..." (and Northern Cal for that matter  ;)).
0321 Now commenting on Vegas 1-0 lead over Colorado in NHL playoffs
0325 ID "The Mighty Ten-Ninety"
0326 Ferrall updates hockey game between Vegas and Colorado now tied at 1.  Begins discussion on Belmont Stakes.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 1457 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Re: XEPRS 1090 am 0315 utc 05 Jun 2021
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 1418 UTC »
Hey Yankee,

My jaw dropped when I saw you post K and X call signs, until I read that you are  currently out on "the  coast" :).

Nice catch to hear the Border Blaster "Express" /  XEPRS  , one of my favorites that I've read about re the old Mexican Flame Throwers.

I have never heard a Mexican on MW from MA. PLENTY of Cubans  and some other  Caribbeans  (especially  when I am in the town of Gosnold on Cuttyhunk Island , Buzzards Bay , MA ) but  never a peep on MW. Just too much of  stretch  - WAY too much U.S.  on frequency on same bearing  .

I've only  ever copied Mexico on HF . Even then, at least in my experience at my station, it was exceedingly  rare over the years for some reason. Maybe 1 or 2 hams and 1 or 2 broadcasts over 50 years.That's it.

I heard a LOT more from the "tough" areas of South America than from  old Mexico.

TONS of  night time Mexicans  crystal set  copied while I was on the Gulf coast of FL, EASY "fish in the barrel" type of  catches. Even some in daytime on car radio.No brainer there.

But to me ANY Mexican copy, even when you are "staring" at it  (ie  from West FL) is AWESOME !

OT, but speaking of Mexicans, one of my favorite pirates was XEROX, "Radio Duplicado". Hilarious !

K
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 1011 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns