We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 6975khz  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Captain Slack

• View Profile
6975khz
« on: September 24, 2012, 0230 UTC »
I'm hearing a station on 6975.  No ID yet, but playing rock music.  So far, it's been Paul McCartney's "Live & Let Die", Nirvana's "All Apologies, and currently a female singer I'm having trouble identifying.  Very poor readability.  Anyone have an ID on this one?

BOR

Re: 6975khz
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 0232 UTC »
Very weak carrier on the west coast...not strong enough to copy any audio...

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 1244 UTC »
This is Galei Zahal, Israel, a SWBC station, on 6973 kHz.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
Re: 697(3)khz is Galei Zahal, Israe
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 1529 UTC »
It is Galei Zahal, Israel... 6973 @ 5kw?
Good catch even if it isn't a pirate...
Indicates Fall conditions are starting to happen :~)
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 1706 UTC »
I'm with Captain Slack on this.

Earlier in the evening Beerus and rdla4 noted a carrier a couple of clicks below 6975, and above GZ.  I listened to it at that time, and there was no audio, just a carrier distinct from GZ.

I was half-watching this carrier during the Undercover show, and to the best of my memory, it was there continuously during that time period.  Can anyone confirm this?  It was around 6974.7.  GZ was in well also, below and separate from this carrier.

Around 0240, I checked this carrier again (after the initial post by Captain Slack and before starting an overnite at 0245) and there did indeed seem to be some trace audio here, hard rock which I could not ID.

Another spur?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 1708 UTC by jFarley »
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 2246 UTC »
OK. I gave the recording another look and listen. I heard "Live and Let Die" starting at 02:21:08 UTC. Looking at the waterfall, the audio of this song is definitely centered around the 6973 carrier of GZ, not the 6974.6 carrier.  After "Live and Let Die", "All Apologies" immediately followed, so I am pretty sure, at least at this time, I am hearing the same station reported by Captain Slack.

BTW, Beerus reported the 6974.6 carrier here: http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,8260.0.html  He reported it on IRC at 2317z, and said it was quite strong, "smashing Israel pretty good".

Checking my IRC scrollback, I see that at 2342z I measured the carrier frequency of the mystery carrier (netSDR running with a GPS derived 10 MHz reference) and came up with 6974.624 kHz.

Checking the SDR recording again, at 0240z there was a song being sung by an OM. The language was not EE, and I would not characterize it as hard rock. So if others were hearing hard rock, then there was another station involved.

At around 0256z, GZ had an OM talking, so the sidebands were rather narrow. This gave me the opportunity to more carefully listen to the 6974.6 carrier. I could not hear any modulation. That carrier was much weaker than GZ, however, so it's possible I just wasn't able to hear any audio present.

I decided to look later, to when GZ faded out, to see what I could hear around 6974.6. However, that carrier faded out first at around 0429z, before GZ (which I believe implies it is further to the east of GZ). GZ's fadeout was more gradual, making it harder to identify, I would guess it at about 0530z. I think sunrise in Israel is about 0330z right now, I don't know how long it takes for the D layer to ionize enough to attenuate at 7 MHz. Maybe we can wave our hands and guess it was about 15 degrees further east of Israel? Fortunately it's the equinox now, and the day/night lines are all nice and north/south.

As of now, 2245z, I don't seem to hear or see the 6974.6 carrier.

I'm not sure if this helps any, or just confuses matters :-)

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 2344 UTC »
No, that helps an awful lot.  In a couple of ways.

It sounds now like a lead pipe cinch that the audio that Captain Slack heard was indeed from 6973.  I stand in awe of your arguments. 

What I heard?  It could have been some of the GZ USB, or it could have been something else.  I checked for audio files between Undercover off and 0245, but I was apparently not recording then, so I do not have an answer.   I could only listen to the upper carrier in USB, and it was thought, perhaps erroneously, that this was out of the GZ sideband.  Wish I had recorded IQ on this.

It also helps from the following viewpoint.  SDR's are great, and I have become spoiled in a short time.  Wish I had the R7 in an operating position last night; I do now!
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net