We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Unknown dasher, 2008.43 kHz  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Unknown dasher, 2008.43 kHz
« on: September 29, 2012, 1247 UTC »
Yet another 2 MHz dasher that does not appear to be on my list.

This dasher does not run continuously.  It transmits for about 1 minute and 27 seconds, about every 4 minutes and 30 seconds.

1206 UTC,   2008.43 kHz,   About 3.65 sec dash spacing (about 16.5 dash/min), and about 1.0 sec dash length, transmits about every 4 minutes and 30 seconds for about 1 minute and 27 seconds.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown dasher, 2008.43 kHz
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 2030 UTC »
A video of this possible becon is online at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_IU6gG938c

T!
T!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 0212 UTC »
09/30/2012  0200z signal above the noise floor.

I strongly suspect this is in the southwest of the US someplace, I would say probably in the California High Desert or right around there.  While I did not hear this beacon during daylight hours it came up out of the noise pretty much as soon as the sun went down.  And since I was hearing it slightly after sunrise this morning I don't think it can be much east or west of me.

(edit)  Faded out about 1345z, right about local sunrise.

T!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 1400 UTC by Token »
T!

Offline vlfradio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 1731 UTC »
Hi Token,

Your receiving capabilities with your SDRs and ant. farn there in Kern Co. are amazing!

OK, the 2008 beacon is a friends of mine - it runs night-only via a 8-d-cell battery pack - 130 mW output to south/north-facing dipole up 25-30 ft. in BIG pinyon pine trees in s.w. Nevada to the north of DVNP at elevation 7400 ft. - it as you have researched and observed, runs with overall real low duty cycle in order to preserve the alkaline-D-cell battery pack as long as is possible.

73 - v

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 2112 UTC »
The signal makes in in here pretty good, almost as strong as the 2025 dasher but a bit less solid, more QSB.  The location makes sense, I supected it would not be very far east or west of me, but might be a bit north or south (was just basing on the fade in/fade out at sunset and sunrise, before I knew it was nghtime only).  The fact it is dawn to dusk and the on and off times are so close to my dawn and dusk also fits.

Tell the owner it is consistant and solid.

T!
T!