We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: Anyone Else Have Signals Down, Noise Up ?  (Read 504 times)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Anyone Else Have Signals Down, Noise Up ?
« on: June 20, 2021, 0004 UTC »
Hey All,

Maybe just the  MW "Summertime Blues", but it's been kind of slow on BCB lately.

Normally BIG New Yorkers 1010 WINS, 880 WCBS , et al, are not "delivering" like they "should". Still quite usable but not at expected  signal levels.Noise is up too.

CFZM 740 has been "missing in action" for quite a while now. They are always dicey (at best) since I am in their null.The QSB on them is also usually fierce, but they did rise up to "decent" levels , "at  times". But not lately .
The best they can muster is the usual "non synchronized flutter " up against WJIB . This always used to happen WELL  before Zoomer  ever became audible. But they haven't been getting past that point. Even the flutter itself is kind of rare now.

How are you guys doing re loggings ? Is your QTH also in the mud lately as well   ?

OT, but Good progress on Octo Loop. Arms are attached onto the gusset plate. Forks done , but need attaching to arms. No base board yet. A few bugs and "evolution" along the way, but getting there.

Kind of a shame, when in the early "raw" state,   I had enough wood for a 7 ft diameter. But it NEVER would have fit into the shop, which has a low ceiling at it's entrance. As is at 5'1", it will only clear by about 3 "or 4" - tight.

K

Additionally, last night things  (6/20) were still rough.

Tony Orlando's  music  show (on normally rock steady and strong )770 WABC was punctuated by a good amount of  QSB , distortion and noise.

Yet Again , only a bit of  weak flutter from 740  CFZM , mostly zero indication of signal.

Regionals 640 WWNZ, 560 WGAN/WHYN missing.

I love  a challenge :)

K
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 1013 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: Anyone Else Have Signals Down, Noise Up ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 1441 UTC »
WLW and Zoomer usually with fair daytime sigs in here both weak and barely readable this morning.  Also, normally strong Chicago powerhouses WGN and WLS both not heard.
Can't be due to local QRM as my listening was done at a noise free local park.
The K-Index has been mostly low recently and the Dst near zero, however, lots of T-storm activity in the Midwest, Gulf Coast, and off the Carolinas.
My guess is that the poor conditions lately are mostly typical Summertime QRN.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 1716 UTC »
Conditions still poor today... probably why we don't AM BCB DX during the Summer.   

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 1843 UTC »
Hey Pinto,

We’ll I’m glad it isn’t just me  :)!

Zoomer still gone last night, just a tiny bit of flutter “at times”. 95% nothing.

Still slogging on with trying things ( like the long wire ferrite coil coupled to the 803 for daytime super weak NYC ground wave ).

In one respect, this time of year is actually the BEST time to try things.

If I manage to grab whatever tiny bit of signal that’s around now, in theory it should work even better as the days shorten.

Some folks predict a very “interesting “ solar cycle. We’ll see.

Also , it’s a good time to be on the bench.LOTS of projects, but a lot going on at work / home , so progress is slower right now. “Life gets in the way of radio “ ;).

I have managed to buy a lot of parts/ goodies over the last 2 or 3 months.

A few more things on the list, then I can really cruise and turn out some new toys.

K
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 1847 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 1849 UTC »
"After May 1 most broadcast band DXers reluctantly desert the dials.
Long hours of daylight and tremendously increased static make distant reception
just plain miserable."

C.M. Stanbury II
page 139  Radio TV Experimenter Magazine Summer ‘63 Edition
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.
Due to an unwarranted adulteration of the E.N.I.G.M.A. "designators" they're never posted nor ever used.
-30-

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2021, 0008 UTC »
just plain miserable."

C.M. Stanbury II

Great mag, too bad it's gone.  :(

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2021, 0013 UTC »
NQC,

Too busy here working on the cars during the summer... when you drive old junk that's how it goes (or doesn't).
Generally start stocking up on electronic odds and ends about September in anticipation of the long winter nights in the shack.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 1307 UTC »
just plain miserable."

C.M. Stanbury II

Great mag, too bad it's gone.  :(

At 75¢ in 1963, its doubtful anyone would pay $6.50 for a pulp periodical in 2021 but its nice to look back on some good articles.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 1904 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.
Due to an unwarranted adulteration of the E.N.I.G.M.A. "designators" they're never posted nor ever used.
-30-

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
  • Eton/Grundig Satellit + Belka DX w/ longwire ant
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 1719 UTC »
Conditions are pretty noisy here, too, out near Seattle.

But because I only returned to MW DXing within the past 18 months or so, I noticed I never have logged some of the strong "regulars" on the dial -- stations more than 500 miles away like KFBK, KNX, etc., that I just have taken for granted. So I'm listening to and logging those and, in the process, sometimes hearing stations behind those on the frequencies.
eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 1815 UTC »
Hey Treehouse,

It's really good to get a far  West  coast response.

Yet another post that reinforces the idea that "it ain't just me" :).

I am taking this "opportunity" to do hyper weak signal work .I am making  notes how/when super weak ground wave  starts change from "daytime" mode  to  high angle sky wave near and after sunset.

Just for grins, the other afternoon /evening I was using   a pocket transistor radio to "borrow" the 455 KC  Intermediate Frequency   offset emission. It  provided  the  beat  source to my Dx rig.

I could have also dragged out the signal generator to do this, but I was simply fooling around with a different   unmodulated carrier signal source.  Interesting on how strong a beat note can be  and yet still have NO trace of audio. It also demonstrated the stability of the pocket rig, which was "fair".

So , I am STILL working AM BCB ,despite it being in the mud right now.

K

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 1851 UTC »
Treehouse,

Not a bad idea to do an AM bandscan every now and then just to keep track of conditions
or stumble upon a new one that might appear (or old one that disappears).
You will also occasionally luck on to a new one underneath a local. 

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 1854 UTC »
NQC,

Daytime AM DX is the true test of how good a receiver you may have.
Even a pocket transistor can pick up stations 1000 miles out at night.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 2144 UTC »
Hey Pinto,

SO true. Even my Windsor “ Boys”  2 transistor reflex would grab stations like WBT from NH at night. Not much audio ,but “ there”.

Things up  a "bit" 6/25/21 0300 UTC. A little bit of Zoomer audio for the first time in well over a month, but very badly chopped up in the "competitive"  mixing/beat  flutter w/WJIB. Their Harris transmitter was apparently pulled out and programming is now going out over their new French transmitter  manufactured  by Cuisinart   ::). A  few songs recognized but overall poor copy.

1690 WPTX  MD up good at times in QSB .
1700 WRCR NYC poor ( go figure)
1720  Station ZZZZ ,strong copy (fell asleep with phones on  :)))

Earlier in the day  : 2200 UTC on  the car radio 6 miles West and then Southbound on  the big highway-  1010 WINS actually usable (!)  with  weak to fair signal  but acceptable  audio.

My other NYC  "weak test station " 570 WMCA was a much tougher catch. But even they eventually came up some when   out on the open highway .   Weak  to only occasionally fair. Sort of usable,but not very good.

So they takeaway is that my QTH may also be a factor re the weak New Yorkers.

Hmmmmmm.

OT, also "Dx" tested 101.3 W267CE /JIB translator while on highway to South . Fair /poor.  Chopped up (and  fully captured  at times) by another regional station on frq.

K
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 1050 UTC by NQC »

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2021, 1512 UTC »
For whatever reason, very much improved MW band conditions here in MI early this morning.
Chicago flamethrowers WGN and WLS both back full blast. 740 Zoomer CFZM loud and clear sounding like a local
as were X-banders 1630 KCJJ and 1640 WSJP.  550 WGR was pouring in from across the Lake with a big signal.
Also got in some nice LW listening with only a random static crash here and there.

Offline ThaDood

• Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2021, 1917 UTC »
Last night, 1020KDKA and 1100WTAM, were back to booming in here for the drive home from work. I've tried listening to our own local Graveyard FREQ 1240AM, for C2C AM opener, and that was getting covered. Then, Cuba's 1620kHz was in there with my Part #15 AM1620. Not hearing Pensacola's 1620 though. Here's a tough catch. Can anyone get AM790 WLSV, at just 40W night power? I've yet to catch that down here. And yes... Wall to wall lightning crashes. I'll be so glad to build & try the W.O.G. project this Fall. I hope...
When asked about White Supremacy, I do not believe in it, since most white people that I know are very much mediocre. Therefore, I believe in White Mediocracy.