We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Medi1 Radio (Radio Méditerranée Internationale) on 171 khz at 305 UTC  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
SINPO=34333, very solid signal tonight (some static crashes).

305- "The Valley Runs Low" by Joe Bonamassa.
308- OM announcer in French.
309- "Perfect Circle" by Katie Melua. <<Now SINPO=24222>>
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 0311 UTC by Molvania Poacher »
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Hey Poacher,

Nice catch.

While never common,"back in the day" LW b'casts  for me weren't a HUGE deal either.Especially in winter.

Now  LW BCAST  stations are dropping like flies.

My new 5 ft loop (not done yet ) will have the "fairly easy"  ::) capability too rewind on the fly from 1/4"  spaced for the   530-1710 Kc  range down to LW at much closer or no spacing (we'll see how THAT works out,   ???).

No more rooftop ants here  and portable  LW can be noisy in local area anyways .

I will try loop (and maybe a ferrite tank to rcvr coupled long wire) at the beach, maybe  when Wx gets cooler.There is nothing better than an ocean horizon for Trans Atlantic MW or LW !

So- LW b'casts -Get 'em before they're gone.

Ditto re LW beacons.

de N1NQC
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 1140 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline Molvania Poacher

• DXing Phenomena
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
Thanks NCQ! Enjoyed and appreciated your comments as always. Tonight, nothing on 171 khz here except deafening QRN.

I enjoy catching the occasional, dying breed, LW broadcast station when the propagation gods allow. It reminds me of all those exotic European, Soviet and few Asian and North African broadcasters who used to transmit between 153 and 279 that I used to hope to catch in the 80s (generally without success).

It's only a matter of time until the last broadcaster pulls the plug on this dying band, so catch them while you can! Happy DXing everyone.
All reception from this location, radio and antenna.
QTH New Hampshire (70 miles north of Boston).
Tecsun S-8800 and Kenwood R-2000, with about 135 feet of wire thrown up in the trees.
eQSLs most appreciated to molvaniapoacher@gmail.com.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns