We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: rain  (Read 2339 times)

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
rain
« on: June 26, 2021, 0902 UTC »
Four inches of rain yesterday (Friday 6-25-21), 3 inches of which fell last evening in a 1 1/2 hour period resulting in some minor neighborhood street flooding.
Presently raining this morning with more on the way throughout the day into tonight and more tomorrow.
Looks like we get to make up for the relatively dry Spring and Summer so far all in a few days. 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
Re: rain
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 0056 UTC »
Hey Pinto.

Rounds  of  thunderstorms lately , some severe .

6-30-21 : PM   100 degrees, then absolute monster Cumulonimbus w/huge vicious  anvils and  high winds. Sky turned green just to our South.Outflow winds higher than seen  here in quite a while. 
Up to 300 + flashes every 10 minutes in area .  Thunderstorm outflow   downdraft wind   boundary, well outside /ahead from precip area  was  visible on Radar,  length 25 + mi long .

Second 6-30-21 round of thunderstorms after dark, much lightning,  and much more rain than earlier severe event. I caught some nice high altitude lighting on video.

Copious rains lately- cumulative,since Wed,  3 " + in gauge . Some "training" /"conveyor belt"  precip events  lasting all night.

7/3/21: PM was VERY heavy , almost torrential ,  rain with occasional lightning,  then an hour or so  break of only light  rain , then  just "heavy" rain  with  a  few more bolts. Yet the closest SURFACE feature was  150 + miles to South. Stuff apparently happening upstairs. Cool (to almost   COLD)  for July.

Wild , you gotta love New England

I am still welcoming  ALL the water we get though. Still a blessing, No "excess" yet.

K
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 0105 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2021, 1927 UTC »
Hey Pinto, All.

More rounds of heavy Thunderstorms yesterday.1000+ bolts / hr in area.

Heavy rain , 3/4” w/ some very small very close but not very loud strikes.

3 strikes within 500 ft or less to East.

Could see pale Peach Orange bolt, not overly bright.
Low amperage /“sort of high” voltage ?

Instant high pitch crack of respectable but not overly loud thunder. Like fireworks ,not thunder explosions.

This happened 3 times close to me and a few more maybe 1/3 to 1/2 mile.

Fast moving, edge of severe cell , but only weak strikes, moderate to heavy rain and maybe gust 40.Biblical looking though.

I have seen ultra weak in cloud lightning strikes during snow.Each next one failed worse, last one was just   light ,no thunder

Snow lightning is like no other.

Add : 7/7/21  2100 UTC .This time they used the "real" stuff. A number of local strikes, LOUD, but nothing like the "artillery barrage" in the heavier part of the cell. They were getting popped every 15 or 20 seconds.Fairly loud, but  low frequency  sounding , most seemed   powerful and  mean  ground  strikes 4 Miles south.Close miss. Yesterday the sky turned  green for the second time this year.We only got "some"  lightning (1 per minute ?). But kind of intense , with some strikes within 500 ft.Heavy rain also.

This morning 7/8/21 0800 UTC. More  storms at predawn  . A few strikes  not super close.With a  lot of  Cloud to Cloud lightning.Noted best was bright white horizontal bolt 10 Miles long?). Also had other spectacular in cloud strikes.

We got heavy rain , some lightning here.Most action 4 or 6 miles to North. Again ,like yesterday, close enough to really   see it well , but not on top of me  either.I'm OK with that.

Now close pass by Elsa.

More rain . FILL that reservoir :).

K
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 1631 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 0125 UTC »
Lots more rain this week.  Numerous pop-up t-storms along a nearly stationary frontal boundary.
Some have been real soakers... amazing that the sky can hold so much water.
Many of the small lakes and ponds that were low due to the rather dry Spring are now back to nearly full.
Fortunately no violent WX at this QTH although some nearby areas have flooding or power outages.
The lights have blinked a number of times due to the lightning or wind but the antenna farm has survived untouched.

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 1018 UTC »
Hey Pinto and All,

Before dawn we started get into Elsa’s
rain shield.Only light rain so far.

Expecting 2-3 “ rain ,” some” wind here at Boston.

Isolated tornadoes seem to have already occurred in  NJ- gust 78 -from “nearby”twister ? Possibility  of tornadoes  Long Island, CT, RI and into SE MA later today.

No severe issues for Boston yet. We may be too far NW of track , but I will keep checking NWS web site during AM for updates.

K
K

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2021, 2150 UTC »
All day rain here today in southern MI... got 1" in the official backyard rain gauge.
Can't remember a wetter July... cool too, haven't seen 90 yet this month.
The politicians are racing to the nearest microphone to blame the flooding on
global warming... errr, climate change... errr, maybe they just haven't been
maintaining all the pumps and drains.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 0442 UTC »
20 July 2021 - Severe thunderstorm & cold front came thru Niagara County, N.Y. this afternoon. The day started out with high of 81 degrees at noon, by 6 pm the temperature had dropped to 67 degrees. The front came thru with 60mph winds and hail, then heavy rain which lasted for two hours. When it stopped we had received 5.7 inches according to the National Weather Service.
After the storm passed a state of emergency was declared in Niagara county due to severe flooding. I have never experienced a severe thunderstorm like this in all my years living in WNY.
I can take the snow in winter,  it doesn't flood your basement.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 0444 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com