We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: BCB Black Out  (Read 90 times)

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
BCB Black Out
« on: July 08, 2021, 1659 UTC »
Hey All.

During last night's  severe storms,  the AM BCB was wiped out here.

And I don't mean by static crashes, even though there were zillions of those.

The afternoon and evening  BC  band was just simply wiped dead. NO "expected" day time New Yorkers copied.  ALL  of  the normally  "definite" big night time  NYC stations either  didn't show or were still  terrible, LONG after dark.

ALL Regional stations  evaporated.

Again many crashes, but you could still tell  that there was almost NO propagation from anyone.Also  my local noise didn't help.

Bad.

The good thing about a completely indoor system is that you notice band changes more .My system    is more "marginalized" .Therefore it is somewhat more  "on the edge" and will crash down  sooner than   a nice  outdoor antenna would. I work  deal with captures much less than 10% of  what   an outdoor antenna would grab. But I do get an easy directional  null of some noise sources. Sometimes , the strongest loop orientation isn't necessarily the best . I swing the rig's direction first and bring in loop to least noise / but still with some signal.Cleaner but quieter.

Didn't try Zoomer 740 but  line  of  sight  local WJIB 740 was excellent on it's loop heading.I also copied Big signal /Big band WSRO 650 which also had no bad signal effects from poor band  conditions. Both are honkin' ground waves and stayed ultra clean , no real static  crashes heard on carrier  when audio went  quiet.

K
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 1823 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42